question

Metrothom avatar image
Metrothom asked

Which MultiPlus II or MultiPlus inverter would be a good fit for our family

Hello all,

Hope you can help me out!

Getting ready to start the Van build. We chose to go with Victron. Looking at these two. I am not well versed in electronics and vocabulary.

Victron Energy Inverter/Charge MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 120V VE.Bus | UL Certified | PMP122301102

Victron Energy Inverter/Charger MULTIPLUS-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V | PMP122305100

Will have 2x Orion DC-DC 30-12-12 (should I get the new 50A Orion)

50A MPPT

Lynx Dist

Cerbo or the new one, Ekrano

We have a 2021 2500 170 crew 4x4, our plans with the conversion are for weekend getaways in BC, and the Pacific North West areas. My son competes in Judo tournaments in this area. My sons are 14 and 16. During summer break we would like to travel further from PNW. Our floorplan will be similar to the Sara and Alex James Family van.

So far we have collected a Happi jac elevator bed, 618Ah of SOK batteries, a big 12v fridge, 2 maxx air fans, planning to get a 12v A/C, 4 laptops, camera/drone batteries, Diesel heater, H/W, we will be installing Solar panels-but the fans and A/C will get the roof real estate 1st. More to come... hope to find some nice Off-grid places to explore, but we will be stopping at RV parks to charge up when the batteries are low.. Our shipment of insulation, Canopy, 80-20, L-track, and fittings is arriving next week.

Which one do you think is the better fit for our needs (family of 4)?

Thanks in advance!

Multiplus-IImultiplus ve.buscampervan
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
Personally, I would have gone for a 24V house system, as the peak currents are lower. Running a 3kW inverter at 12v = ~300A, at 24V, this will be more like 120A, with savings on copper for the cables, and lower inverter costs. charging from the alternator is easily managed with a 12/24V converter. Check the fridge to see if it is dual voltage, if not then a 24/12v converter could be used there.
2 Likes 2 ·
Metrothom avatar image Metrothom Mike Dorsett commented ·
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. Can you please point me in the right direction so I can see the pros and cons of thus suggestion.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Mike Dorsett commented ·
@Metrothom

To add

High currents mean heat, heavier bulkier less flexible cables and more difficult installation. Higher voltage systems are better in general

It would be a good idea to carry out an energy audit. Consumption of each and every piece of kit, how long per day it's used and when, add these up. It will give total energy needs, peak loads. Then size the multiplus, battery bank and charging needs.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Metrothom avatar image
Metrothom answered ·

Co-Pilot:

The Victron Energy Inverter/Charger MULTIPLUS-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V | PMP122305100 is also a 3000VA inverter/charger, but it operates at 2x120V. This means it can provide power to two separate 120V systems simultaneously. Like the previous model, it is part of the MultiPlus-II series and offers the same modular design and compatibility with lithium and smart battery technologies.

I am not well versed in the electrical systems, I asked GPT a question and this was GPTs answer.

So if we are at an RV park with 50A, will this mean we can have the Air conditioner running all day and night, and still use the other pole to charge house battery?

ChatGPT

Yes, using the Victron Energy Inverter/Charger MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V (PMP122305100) at an RV park with a 50A service can allow you to run an air conditioner continuously while simultaneously charging your house battery. This model's capability to support two separate 120V systems simultaneously is particularly advantageous in such scenarios.

Here's how it works:

1. Two Separate 120V Systems: The inverter/charger can manage two 120V circuits independently. This means one circuit can be dedicated to high-demand appliances like air conditioners, and the other can be used for charging the house batteries or powering other devices.

2. Power Management: With its intelligent power management system, the MultiPlus-II can prioritize the use of available power. For instance, if the air conditioning is running and the system detects that the current draw is within the limits of the available power, it can continue to charge the batteries without interruption. If the power demand exceeds the available supply, the MultiPlus-II can automatically reduce the battery charging current to ensure the air conditioner continues running without tripping the RV park's circuit.

3. Energy Efficiency: The inverter/charger is designed to be highly efficient, ensuring that power is utilized optimally. This efficiency is crucial when running high-demand appliances continuously and maintaining battery charge.

4. Compatibility with Lithium and Smart Battery Technologies: The MultiPlus-II's compatibility with advanced battery technologies means you can effectively manage and protect your battery investment. It ensures that charging is optimized for battery health and longevity, which is vital for sustaining your energy needs over time.

In essence, the Victron Energy MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V offers a flexible and efficient solution for managing your RV's power needs at a 50A RV park. It allows for the continuous operation of essential appliances like air conditioners while ensuring your batteries are adequately charged, thus enhancing your RV living experience by providing comfort and power reliability.

For specific setup and operational guidance, consulting the product manual or a professional installer is recommended to ensure the system is configured correctly for your unique needs and to comply with all safety standards.

Can anyone confirm this will work as GPT states?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Sort of, but one should never trust ChatGPT with technical questions, and in fact we generally delete any references in this community that we see has come from a chatbot. For real explanation of the MultiPlus-II functionality, please see the user manuals and datasheets available here: https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-ii-2x-120v

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes