question

bbuster avatar image
bbuster asked

Raspberry Pi 4 frequently losing USB devices

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 running Venus OS.
From the the display i have a 4m USB cable running to the back of the motorhome were all the devices are installed with a powered USB hub.

I have a smart shunt and MPPT installed and they usually work (readable via the display). But after some time (changes from days to weeks), the connections to the usb devices are lost. I have installed a reboot script at night because most of the time after a reboot all the devices are found again but not this time. I have restarted the Raspberry multiple times but i cannot get the devices to show up again.

When i use the "lsusb" command i get this:

root@raspberrypi4:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 03eb:572b Atmel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0403:6015 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd Bridge(I2C/SPI/UART/FIFO)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I can get the "lsusb -v | more" and see a lot of information, including "Victron Energy" as manufacter so i assume the devices are connected.

What can cause this? Or can i check what is the problem?

The MultiPlus Compact is also connected to the Raspberry Pi but via the ethernet cable directly connected to the USB-MK3 device and that one keeps working

Thank you!

MPPT SmartSolarVenus OSSmartShuntRaspberry Pimk3-usb
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
carsten2 avatar image
carsten2 answered ·

I also had massive USB connect/disconnect problems. An USB isolator solved almost all issues, even though there are still rare disconnects.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.