question

bunzeyda avatar image
bunzeyda asked

MPPT SmartSolar and BMV-712 and Multiplus

I have 2xMPPT 250/100 hardwired to a cerbo GX, a BMV-712 hardwired to the same Cerbo GX, and 2xMultiplus 3KV (also hardwired to the Cerbo) with 6x8D Lifeline AGM batteries (~1500AH). I have the charge algorithm set to adaptive + battery safe mode. My question is how does the collective system know when the batteries are charged when not tied to the grid?

My understanding is that in adaptive charging mode the battery tail current is used to evaluate "charged". In my case, set to 0.5% of capacity or about 7.5A. My observation is that the MPPT controllers attempt to go to through their charge cycle when the sun shines but based on the power consumption of the appliances, and the available sun, it is very possible to get the combination of absorption voltage, 14.4V, and low tail current despite the batteries ability to accept much more current.

Multiplus-IIBMV Battery MonitorMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I think what you're saying is that the system drops to float earlier than you expect.

It will drop to float (i.e. sees battery as charged) when three criteria are met. Charged voltage, tail current and tail current or less for the charge detection period. Additionally if you have set a max absorption time, this will also cause the switch to float.

As the system switches to float, SOC is set to 100%.

Weather can cause low charge current causing false detection of fully charged when charging from solar. The cure is in the BMV: reduce tail current (as you've done), increase charged voltage to just below absorption voltage and increase charge detection period. If you have set a max absorption period, remove it. These settings, particularly charge detection period, are dependant on local conditions. Charge detection of 15 minutes or more is not unreasonable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @bunzeyda

In your system there are two types of 'Tail', one in the BMV, the other in the mppts. They serve different purposes, so don't confuse them.

The BMV's Tail is in '%', and decides when to sync to 100% SOC (considering Charged V and Detection time too). So it decides when the batts are fully charged, but you have to tell it how to decide. Like whether to sync under Absorb or Float. Chew this over thoroughly, the settings need to suit.

The MPPTs' Tail is in Amps and has nothing to do with the Adaptive (see the manual) algorithm. It's used to terminate Absorption phase, and will override both Fixed or Adaptive settings. It will use it's own Amps, but that can also include loads, so often not directly relevant to the battery. With DVCC (SCS) set to use the BMV, it's Amps will be used, so then relevant. A great feature. 0.5% (converted to Amps) set there is way too low, 3-4% more suited as a start point.

I cringe somewhat seeing 6x agm Batteries in parallel. This shouts Imbalance at me, and you'll need to set them up carefully for a long life. By all means come back with more questions, but please read and understand the manuals first.

2 |3000