question

Ayoze avatar image
Ayoze asked

Hoymiles + Victron MPPT and charge battery

I have a setup with 3 Hoymiles microinverters in a ESS system. Everything run smoothly. I have a multiplus II 5000 and a cerbo gx with two US5000 Pylontech batteries.

I would like to add 5 more 460w panels to my setup and thinking to use a Victron MPPT instead more microinverters.

A friend told me that this is not a good idea, because can happen that the battery is charging through both setups at the same time and the voltage can be high and suddenly the battery will stop charging.

1. I think the MPPT charge the battery based on voltage ranges, isn't it?

What do you think? I thought there will no be issue because the Mppt will be connected to the Cerbo gx and there will be a algorithm that allow both.

Multiplus-IIBMV Battery MonitorMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

This...

A friend told me that this is not a good idea, because can happen that the battery is charging through both setups at the same time and the voltage can be high and suddenly the battery will stop charging.

...is just BS. Running a MultiPlus-II with batteries charged only AC coupled let yoz easily run into trouble because if the Batteries are emoty, the MultiPlus-II switch off and also your Microinverters.

How do you now charge the Batteries?

Yeah, using a stinky and noisy GenSet!

Nop! – Use a SmartSolar MPPT 250/100 if you are on a 24V system or the SmartSolar MPPT 250/70 for the 48V system.

Note: I run a Fronius Primo 8.2-1 (8,6kWp) on my MultPlus-II 24/5000 in addition to a MPPT 150/70 (1860Wp) and two MPPT 250/100 (each 2050Wp) and it works perfect.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.