question

mva avatar image
mva asked

DC-DC converter selection

I have been using a Victron Orion-Tr DC-DC converter (12/12-9) to charge my 100 Ahr LiFePO4 trailer battery under tow by my F150. It has worked fine for a few years. I noticed that the datasheet for the Orion-Tr DC-DC converters has been changed to include new language:

"Not intended for battery charging. Please consider using an Orion-Tr Smart for battery charging"

If you use the internet archive (a.k.a. wayback machine), this is recent additional comment as of 1/28/23.

Has anyone else noted this change, and is there a technical concern that is understood in using the DC-DC converter I am using?

thanks

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@MVA is there a technical concern that is understood in using the DC-DC converter I am using?

As long as you are aware that Orion dc2dc converter is charging your battery to 13.6-13.8v, and is nearly fully charging your battery, but is not driving the voltage high enough for the cell balancers to fully balance the cells.

The change off wording reflects that there are now Orion dc2dc battery chargers available.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources