question

rfdon avatar image
rfdon asked

Phoenix 12/800 VE.Direct, with or without GFCI for van install?

Hi,

I'm planning an AC and DC power installation for a 2023 Chrysler Pacifica PHEV. The system would be for general use, camping, and ham radio deployments. I've attached a draft diagram of the pending installation

The diagram was drafted on the assumption that the Phoenix 12/800 VE.Direct unit would be the device that includes a single Nema5-15R non-GFCI outlet. I'm interested in understanding if the device that includes the two Nema5-15R GFCI outlets would be a better option or not.

The manual states that a qualified installer should inspect the connection to the chassis for compliance with local regulations. I'd be fine with that, but don't want to bother selecting the GFCI unit if it isn't suitable for this type of deployment.

I'd be grateful for any advice and comments.

Much appreciated,

rfdon

pacifica-acdc.jpeg

Phoenix Inverter
pacifica-acdc.jpeg (122.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rfdon avatar image rfdon commented ·

I should mention that the equipment would be installed into one or more go-boxes that are securely tied down to the vehicle when in use, attached and detached from the starter battery and chassis ground with a suitably large Anderson Powerpole connectors, or the like. In this way, the equipment could be removed when taking the vehicle in for service, theft prevention, etc.

edit:

For further context, the inverter would mainly be used for a portable electronics workbench (soldering iron, oscilloscope, etc), an Azimuth-Elevation rotator for keeping ham radio antennas pointing in the desired direction, a sewing machine, or small electronics. The soldering station would be located outside the vehicle and connected with an extension code, if that's a relevant detail. In any case, AC loads would be <= 500-600W.

0 Likes 0 ·
rfdon avatar image rfdon commented ·

Giving this thread a one-time bump. Would anyone have recommendations or comments on the GFCI or non-GFCI approach?

Much appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers