question

muhammed avatar image
muhammed asked

Generator Synchronizing Issue

I have 6 x 8kVA Quattros and a 30kVA Generator. The problem I have is the generator often does not synchronize with the generator. It continuously tries to, finally it does for about 5-10 minutes before kicking off again. I have checked the settings and all seems to be in order. Could someone kindly assist.

Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Philipp Trenz avatar image
Philipp Trenz answered ·

This sounds like a typical Loss of Mains issue, please take a look here, esp. point 2.6: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:grid-codes-and-loss-of-mains-detection

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

muhammed avatar image muhammed commented ·
Hi @Philipp Trenz

I have checked that. Not related to LOM

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Muhammed

More information is required here.

Have you followed the suggestions here?

Are you using the ESS assistant? Do you have a grid code?

Have you set the input current limit down per phase? The generator is a bit small for the system. Is the limit per phase less than 30A?

7 comments
2 |3000

@Alexandra

I did follow those suggestions. I updated the system today before i posted on here.
I do have an ESS setup. Grid code is set to "Other"

yes, the limit is currently set to 20Amps per phase.

Something we noticed this afternoon which i found to be strange, the toggle on the top left corner of the VRM dashboard is for adjust battery % if set to partially discharge batteries. There is a Quattro settings which consists of "ON, Charge Only, Inverter only and OFF"victron-lincor.png

1. Bypassed the system for the loads to run purely on gen power.

2. The gen was still live on AC Input 2

3. Mode was set to Charge Only

4. System synchronized, and charged the battery for over an hour.(note , the gen was feeding the load as well at this point)

5. The moment I changed mode to ON, it kicked off the generator.

does the above give you any further indication of what it could be

0 Likes 0 ·
victron-lincor.png (36.3 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ muhammed commented ·

@Muhammed

On the GX the input is it labelled correctly as a Gen input? You do need to set the input current for the AC2 input only when it is connected. Unless you did it in ve config. The graphic shows it labelled as grid.

In charger only, it allows passthrough but not the ESS assistant to work.

0 Likes 0 ·
muhammed avatar image muhammed Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Alexandra

On the GX device it is labelled correctly.

I did it via the VE Config. at the point i took the graphical image the grid was back online. The strange part is i have approximately 63 sites in total and about 10 with generators but this is the first time I have an issue like this. Previously i had followed the information similar to the link you initially sent me and they have all been working. this is the first one where i am having this issue.

0 Likes 0 ·

I hear you that it is set in ve config. Just wondering if the GX also had been set up. Is the current for the input overruled by remote?

Your screen shot shows 100A (which is too high for a 30kva) input and it is labelled grid. So was wondering about the information there. But your text answer says different. Maybe it is not on the input you think it is?

0 Likes 0 ·

@Alexandra

I currently have input 2 as 20Amps. and also set to overuled by remote.

Also Dynamic Current Limiter is active and weak ac input charge. i have attached some screenshots. please let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary.

you had mentioned earlier that it when on charge only it bypasses the ESS settings. could it be something within the ESS settings?

ve-config.png

screenshot-2024-01-16-223636.png

screenshot-2024-01-16-223725.png

0 Likes 0 ·

@Muhammed

The dynamic current limiter is usually disabled (since it is not handled) by the ESS assistant. So that the interesting thing I see in your settings.

Other thing I can think of is the firmware is not updated. So try that first. Then re program but don't enable dynamic current limiter.

(Update all Victron components)

0 Likes 0 ·

i have tried disabling dynamic limiter. the system is already up to date.screenshot-2024-01-17-220920.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Jonathan Walton avatar image
Jonathan Walton answered ·

Hi, how long is the cabling from the generator?

You mentioned that you have other sites, is the generator further away from the Quattro’s on this system?

Im just thinking of potential issues other than settings?

Kind Regards

Jonathan

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Jonathan Walton

not long at all. Maximum about 15m.

Other sites it is further away.

The reason I think its a setting related to the ESS is that when the system is on Charge Only, it is able to synchronize and charge the batteries without any issues. Additionally, while charging the batteries, it is feeding the load as we bypassed the output from the inverter directly to the generator. The moment we change the inverter to On mode, the kicks of the generator

0 Likes 0 ·