question

Scott Derrick avatar image
Scott Derrick asked

Orion DC-DC charger or Orion DC-DC Converter? (non-isolated)

My system consists of

12 vdc 2018 Ford van

24 vdc battery system(two 200 amp lifpo batteries) with 800 watts solar paired to 160/150 MPPT charger.

I would like to take advantage of the van's 12 v alternator/battery to charge the Lifpo's while driving.

What would be best ? the DC-DC charger or the DC-DC converter? They both have similar capacities. I have a Cerbo GX, and I don't think either talks directly to it? Which is a bummer.

Does the battery's BMS control the charging rate if I use the converter?

thanks,

Scott

cerbo gxbattery chargingLithium Batteryorion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Converter simply supplies an accurate fixed voltage. Not what you want.

You need to check with the BMS supplier/maker, but it probably won't. But should at least provide overcharge/over voltage protection.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi @Scott Derrick , I agree with @kevgermany that it is unlikely that you bms will control the charger/converter. Keep an eye out for the upcoming 24 volt version of the Orion XS because this will at least total to the Cerbo as well as having a bunch of other cool features.

2 |3000

Scott Derrick answered ·

Thats too bad.

Could I use a dc-dc charger like the Kisae DMT2430 and use a Victron Smart Shunt to pass that charging data to the Cerbo GX?

thanks,

Scott

2 |3000

Scott Derrick answered ·

I just realized you didn't mention the Orion 12/24 DC-DC charger? Doesn't it have charging profiles for lithium batteries? I could use it with a smart shunt?

2 |3000