question

wesley8808 avatar image
wesley8808 asked

DC-DC Isolated Charger (12-12/18 amps) Switched on by Rocker Switch

I am charging a LiFePO house battery from my AGM starter battery using a Smart 12-12/18 Amp isolated charger (I am connecting the grounds to a common ground to convert it to non-isolated), but I want to manually control whether or not the Smart Charger turns on. I have an onboard charger that I plug in at the dock. But when using the dock power charger, I don't want the DC-DC Smart Charger powered on since my onboard charger has leads for each battery (or explain to me why it would be ok to allow it to sense the voltage at the AGM and turn on).

I have an accessory rocker switch available to use. My question is do I just connect the wires from L and H terminal to the rocker switch and will that open and close the connection in order to power the Smart Charger on? Or does it require a voltage at the rocker switch?

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

No external voltage is necessary, only interruption/restoration of continuity between the L and H pins, so a basic SPST switch works well.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wesley8808 avatar image wesley8808 commented ·
Thank you! And just want to be sure I am correct in disconnecting the DC-DC Charger when using the onboard charger is the correct thing to do as well.
0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ wesley8808 commented ·
You say your onboard charger is charging both batteries at once? If so I'd say yes, turning off the Orion is the best thing to do.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources