question

David avatar image
David asked

How to get a Cerbo to attempt multiple Generator starts

I live in the northern latitudes of the USA. In the winter when cold, propane generators sometimes fail to start on the first attempt.

When the Cerbo initiates the generator start and the output of the generator is not detected at the AC input (due to generator failing to start), the Cerbo flags a "Generator Not Detected". The Cerbo continues to hold the relay energized, but does not attempt additional tries to start the generator. Like de-energizing the relay, waiting for 15-30 seconds then attempting to start the generator again.

Does anyone know if the Cerbo can be setup to make additional (ie. up to 3 times) attempts or until the generator voltage is detected at the AC input?

I am referring the way that a Magnum AGS will try multiple attempts if a generator fails to start on the first try.

Is there anybody at Victron that can address this issue?

Thank you for considering this.

Dave Adams

cerbo gxfeature requestgenerator auto start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@David

Not sure if this is a possibility. But node red might be your friend here.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David avatar image David commented ·
Thank you for your idea, I don't believe this would work. This is happening on multiple generators on different systems.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@David

If your system(s) have Multiplus/Quattro, then it should be possible to use Assistants to make retries. Also have gen start, but if you wanted to stick with the Cerbo's, should still be possible to 'condition' a start signal. A little signal wiring necessary, but Assistants can see ACIN status and act upon it.

Might need some thought, you up for it? :)

1 comment
2 |3000

John, thank you for your response. I am trying to not use the Inverter(s) and Assistants. I would like the users to have the ability to make changes without running a chance that they change a critical setting in the inverters ( if given that access). I do use the CERBO and use conditional starts (which the users can make changes to), but the CERBO will (that I can figure out) not re-try if the ac is not sensed at the AC input.

Thank you,

Dave

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

easyest way is to buy a cheap gen autostart module about 50.00 there are plenty around, i have used a mebay dc 30 unit, it still uses the cerbo to trigger its start option but it can do restarts based on multi run detection's - just a thought

1 comment
2 |3000

Paul, thank your for your response. I do not know anything about the Mebay generator start devices. I have looked them up, but I do not see any information on the programming ability of the devices. Can you direct me where I can look up that information? Do you have any experience in programming the device.

Thanks, Dave

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi David sugest you just buy one. Or ask the seller to send you a copy of the manual.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Cerbo GX product page

GX family product range

Cerbo GX & GX Touch datasheet

Cerbo GX Manual

Venus root access document

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Cerbo GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator Start/ Stop [PDF]

Automatic Generator Start/ Stop [Online]

Which relay and control to use?

How to wire generators with a three wire interface.

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.