question

steve-moore-vale avatar image
steve-moore-vale asked

Phoenix 12/375 inverter heating elements

Hi.

I’m away camping in very cold Scotland and decided to bring a heated blanket with me. The controller says it runs at around 120w. However after I switch it on I hear the fans in the inverter ramp up and then down again and then about 30 seconds after switching it on the inverter just shuts off completely and this will happen every time I switch that blanket on. It does similar with a 250w fan heater. Just cuts out after a short time. I had read something online about these heating systems only using part of a sine wave but I’m not sure whether that’s to blame or not. May help would be greatly appreciated.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

The load is pulsating in time (PWM) and power (W). Example: power setting the mat to 40W flips from 12 - 36 - 81 - 11 - 51 within 2 seconds. So the poor phoenix goes dizzy, trying to rule this out

Hint1: try one or two 12V car-seat-mat direct at 12Vdc instead a 230V controlled heatmat

(If too hot seat-mats can be wired in series, but no yet tested)

Hint2: try a cheapo chinesium "cola can inverter" as 230V source-screenshot-20231229-163345-1-heatmat.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.