question

thomas-boehm avatar image
thomas-boehm asked

SmartShunt: How to disconnect power

Hi,

right now I am using a MPPT 75/15 for some surveillance cameras. They receive the power via the load connection from the MPPT. From time to time I need to power off the load from the MPPT, because some cameras are not responsive anymore. So far not a problem.

For better battery management I want to use a SmartShunt. But if I use a SmartShunt the cameras are connected directly to the battery and no more to the load connection of the MPPT.

Is there an option to switch off the power remotely even if I have an SmartShunt installed?

Thanks!

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Thomas Boehm

I assume because you say remotely there is a GX here. If there is, then you can use the relay on the GX and a contactor to disconnect power to the camera and reconnect as a reboot.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thomas-boehm answered ·

Dear Alexandra,

thanks for the quick response. No, I have no GX installed. With remotely I mean bluetooth.

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

If it was me I'd have my loads running off a Smart BatteryProtect, powered directly from the battery, rather than the load output port of the MPPT - this would allow you to power-cycle your loads via bluetooth or even remote switch.

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

You could add the SmartShunt between the battery and the MPPT output and still leave the cameras on the MPPT load output. When the load output is turned on you essentially have the battery, MPPT output and load output all connected. At night the cameras will discharge the battery and the SmartShunt will measure this current flow and during the day the MPPT will recharge the battery and the SmartShunt will measure this.

2 |3000

thomas-boehm answered ·

@Justin Cook
I understand that the Smart BatteryProtect is able to switch off the power for the cameras, but in that case I have not the detailed battery information provided like the SmartShunt. Or do you think I should combine the Smart BatteryProtect and the SmartShunt?

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
If it was me, I'd use both, yes.

I have a large portable security systems customer who uses (per camera/comms tower) one MPPT -usually a 75/15 or a 100/20-, one SmartShunt, one SBP-65, and one GlobalLink 520. In his case he connects the SmartShunt and the MPPT to the GlobalLink via VE.Direct, runs all his loads through the SBP, and uses the GlobalLink's switchable relay to control the SBP so that, with the system on VRM, he can remotely power-cycle the camera/comms systems from anywhere in the world; currently he has upwards of 500 of these little towers operating that I know of.

For your use-case the VRM monitoring offered by the GlobalLink may not be necessary, but the basic concept of Battery>SmartShunt is good, with (off the loads and chargers side of the SmartShunt) one line coming from the MPPT for charging, and a second line going to an SBP for your loads.

1 Like 1 ·
thomas-boehm answered ·

@pwfarnel
MPPT output = the battery output from the MPPT, right? So more or less the normal wiring of the SmartShunt, right?

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
@Thomas Boehm Yes, MPPT output= battery output so normal SmartShunt wiring.
1 Like 1 ·