question

pedrov75 avatar image
pedrov75 asked

Could I charge a battery with and alternator and battery charger at the same time?

I have an 24V alternator of 130A (max) directly connected to a 24V battery bank of 200Ah. Normally this alternator generates a current flow of 40A in slow motion, that is used to charge the battery bank. Now, I added an Victron battery charger of 25A (Smart IP43 Charger 24/25 (1+1)) that is connected to the 230VAC line at the input side, and to the battery bank at the output side. I select the charger line (alternator or charger) that will charge the battery bank with a selector of 500A (option: input 1, input 2 or both).

Could this configuration have any problems if i turn the selector to option 'both', connecting both chargers (alternator & battery charger) outputs to the battery bank? Does it need two diodes (like Cyrix 12/24) to prevent the current reverse to the alternator and/or battery charger?

My objetive is to keep the selector on 'both' position, the battery charge to maintain the battery charged all the time (maintenance state) and intermittently the alternator to boost the charging time, cause I have a 30A load that is connected (24/7) to the battery bank and it drains the battery bank.

chargeralternatorCyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Product page Cyrix Battery Combiner