question

Paul Adams avatar image
Paul Adams asked

Orion-Tr Smart Charger working or shorted out? No led lights

A stereo company installed my Orion and a Battle Born battery under the passenger seat on my Sprinter van. But the system seemed to leak and would eventually deplete my Battle Born. Had to recharge it two or three times.

I had an official Victron installer drive up to take a look. He said the Orion had been installed wrong. He said he fixed it, but within an hour after he left the Orion disappeared from my phone's Bluetooth. And now, neither the power light led nor the Bluetooth light led on the Orion comes on. My Victron Smart Battery Monitor still shows up on the phone's Bluetooth.

I took the van to a local RV guy and he spotted a spark between the positive and negative cables going into the Orion. His guess is that the Orion shorted out and is now worthless. However, the Smart Monitor still seems to show the Battle Born charging. I am baffled. The diagnoses are costing me a fortune. Please help!

orion-tr smartBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There should be two positives at the Orion. If it's an isolated model, two negatives, otherwise a single negative. There may also be one or two control wires connected.

If the input shorted, then the supply fuse would blow. And shouldn't affect the Orion.

If the output is shorted, the Orion should survive. Might be a fuse blown. But if the battery is charging, maybe not. Depends how things are wired.

If the first fixer is a genuine Victron trained installer, he should explain in detail what was wrong and how he corrected it. As the RV guy said he saw a spark, assuming he did nothing else, then the 'victron' guy should return and sort it out under warranty.

As it is we have nothing to work with. I'm guessing an authorised dealer is too far away for you to drop in and get things checked there.

Posting some photos here would help. Especially if you can tell us where the spark was seen.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.