question

captainpalapa avatar image
captainpalapa asked

SOLVED: 2x MPPT Controllers, one shows "Not Connected", but both in Bluetooth

Solution: Thanks to this post: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/82597/ccgx-lost-vedirect-port.html

... I realized that somehow (probably me, don't remember) changed the VE.Direct #1 output to console. I didn't even know that setting existed! But I changed the value, rebooted the CCGX and now I have BOTH the MPPT controllers. Thanks for those who offered solutions! Hope this saves someone else a lot of time in the future!

1701908949089.pngYou want this off, if you have anything connected to it you want to see!

(Not) Final Determination: Turns out one of the ports has "gone bad" or been damaged in some way. This port isn't working. I swapped which ve.direct cable was in which port, and behold.... the other MPPT controller shows up.

1701903985369.pngBad, BAD port... no data for you!

Edit: Unsure why all graphics aren't showing. Also, history for day 0 for MPPT is now empty. I think they might have been earlier, too, I'm dealing with timezone issues, I think it flipped midnight in EST while I was writing in MST! :) So, likely that's not a factor and I removed that from below.

Configuration:

• BMV-712 Smart
  • SmartSolar Charter MPPT 100/50 0xA057
  • SmartSolar Charter MPPT 100/50 0xA057
  • Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 120V
  • CCGX Panel
  • 4 x 100ah Battle Born batteries
  • 4 x 190w Solar Panels, 2 to each MPPT

Both MPPT units have v1.61 installed and are the same model.

The units both show up in the Bluetooth app. But in the CCGX, one shows as "Not Connected". I can't determine any reason for this. I even "left the network" and rejoined the network to no avail.

1701849892088.png

Any ideas? I noticed this today, mostly, as we are getting ready to boondock again, and I've been playing with reading MQTT data for my own dashboard. I kept thinking "I have two controllers, where's the other one?", and finally decided to check the CCGX control panel.

Some notes:

• It IS night time for me, so ... the 0W is expected. Obviously the other should match.
  • No, I didn't notice any of this during the day.
  • In the Bluetooth app, they both show up and have matching settings.
  • I haven't changed any settings at all, other than leave/re-join network this evening.
  • Both MPPT controllers are connected to the network according to the app.

1701849946069.png

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarCCGX Color ControlVE.Smart Network
1701849892088.png (44.7 KiB)
1701849946069.png (135.1 KiB)
1701903985369.png (175.3 KiB)
1701908949089.png (40.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Check the VE.direct wiring from the MPPT to the CCGX.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

captainpalapa avatar image captainpalapa commented ·
Wouldn't that affect all the devices? I didn't build the system, but I can check the back of the CCGX, but ... isn't it a network cable? (Also, adding an edit... history for day 0 is empty on both, probably time zone things.)
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@CaptainPalapa

You probably first need to decide which network you want to use. It's not recommended to use the wired CCGX one and network via bluetooth at the same time. You can still access the devices via bt, but don't network them that way.

Given you didn't install the system yourself, I suspect the Not Connected mppt isn't plugged in. The CCGX has 2x VE.Direct ports and you have 3x VE.Direct devices. One would need to use a usb port via a VE.Direct > usb adaptor. First thing to check.

The GX is a better network. Indeed if you set your location in VRM it will likely cure your time issues.

The manuals are a good place to start if you really want to understand what you have there.

1 comment
2 |3000

captainpalapa avatar image captainpalapa commented ·

As soon as it warms up another 10°F, I'm going outside to see if there's any loose wires. I don't think they are networked via BT, didn't even know that was a thing. Pretty sure they are wired up with actual cables. This issue is new. Nothing in the configuration, certainly not the physical configuration has changed.

0 Likes 0 ·