question

danishgod avatar image
danishgod asked

Replace BMV 700 with a BMV 712

I have a BMV 700 connected via a Victron VE cable to the Blue Solar MPPT, not to any batteries with a shunt. I want to move to a BMV 712 battery monitor with blue tooth. Can I just replace current BMV 700 battery monitor with the new BMV 712 battery monitor and use the VE cable and get the expected blue tooth functionality on the Victron APP? thanks for your thoughts.

BMV Battery MonitorBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

A BMV cannot connect to a solar controller via VE.Direct. You likely have an MPPT Control connected to the solar controller, as it looks nearly identical other than the print on its face.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danishgod avatar image
danishgod answered ·

thanks Justin. I am a novice on this. this top photo is the current BMV and the bottom is the BMV 712. so is there anyway i can make use of the VE cable with the BMV 712 battery monitor? the thought of having to put the UTP cable through the wall of my Airstream and hooking up a shunt where none exists today seems daunting. are there better options for me?current-battery-monitor.jpg1701796764576.pngbmv-battery-monitor.jpg

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

The BMV uses the cable with the rj12 plugs to power the display. You have to run it to use it.

The VE direct is used for connecting to a GX.

Probably best to refer to the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Your top photo is an MPPT Control, not a battery monitor - you won't be able to re-use any of its parts when you go to install a battery monitor, the MPPT Control's one and only purpose is communicating with the MPPT.

0 Likes 0 ·
danishgod avatar image danishgod Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
ok, i now get it. i have given up and hired a local Victron guy to install on thursday.
1 Like 1 ·