question

greg-1 avatar image
greg-1 asked

Turning off Bluetooth on BMV

Is it possible to turn off Bluetooth on a BMV? Or is there a BMV model which comes without Bluetooth? (It is to avoid a RF interference with an antenna).

BMV Battery MonitorBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Yes it IS possible to disable the Bluetooth function on a BMV-712.

You have 2 options;

1- Using the setup functions on the actual BMV unit - Function #71

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-BMV-700-700H-702-712-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-PT-IT.pdf

2- Using VictronConnect software;

Click on;

> The settings cog in the upper RH corner

> The 3 dots in the upper RH corner

> 'Product Info' in the menu

> Toggle the 'Bluetooth enabled' switch off

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks, @Mark, I wasn't aware of this!

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

No problem @Justin Cook.

The BMV-712 also has a few other advantages;

- Lower current draw: <1mA vs <4mA

-Bi-stable relay

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BMV-712-Smart-EN.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BMV-700-series-EN.pdf

This can become important with remote setups, unmonitored setups and lithium batteries - since even with low voltage shut-down incorporated, the current draw from the BMV itself could kill a fully discharged the battery within days.

0 Likes 0 ·
greg-1 avatar image greg-1 Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Interesting - so a device allegedly required for battery warranty might actually kill the battery and provide a prof for it...

However, I intend to buy the Lithium-SuperPack, and according to it's brochure "The internal switch will disconnect the battery in case of over discharge (...)". So I suppose the battery will self-disconnect from the BMV when fully discharged?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ greg-1 commented ·

1mA is basically nothing... and your talking about extreme over discharge + no corrective action response for over a week.

But it doesn't run on love and air! :-)

Yes if there is a low voltage disconnect before the BMV (in the battery) then it will also disconnect the BMV.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Greg., both the BMV-700 and the BMV-702 are non-Bluetooth models; the BMV-700 is suitable for monitoring a single battery bank; the -702 is capable of monitoring either: 1 battery bank + voltage on a second bank (such as a start battery) OR 1 battery bank + temperature of that bank (using an optional Victron temperature sensor).

It is not possible to turn off the Bluetooth on a BMV-712, but the -702 gives you the same functionality as the -712 without the BT.

1 comment
2 |3000

greg-1 avatar image greg-1 commented ·

Thank you, indeed I think I'll go for the BMV-702.

0 Likes 0 ·