question

dave805 avatar image
dave805 asked

Anyone using the SmartShunt to track solar production only?

I want to measure and log daily solar production only. I have 1 smart shunt now but it is measuring what is going in and out of my 11 KWh 24V LFP pack, so it is not seeing what is going from the panels straight to the inverter loads and not the battery. Thinking of adding a second Smart Shunt, in series with the first one, with the intersection connected to loads, the top connected to the output of all 3 of my MPPT controllers (not all are Victron), and the bottom of the smart shunt string going to the battery.

Anyone doing something similar? Does the Victron Smart Shunt app support just logging daily solar production? Again, this will be after my MPPT controllers, so no worries about panel series VOC killing the smart shunt.

I'm up for other ideas to capture solar production if you have them. Only one of my MPPT controllers is Victron, hence why I'm not able to see total solar production values.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Check the shunt documentation. It shows how to configure it as a meter. But wiring as you intend will mess up the calcs of the existing shunt. It must go to the load side of the existing shunt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dave805 avatar image dave805 commented ·
It was going to go on the load side. The intersection between the two smart shunts will be the connection point for all loads. The first shunt for SOC goes to the batteries, the second shunt goes to the output of the charge controllers.
0 Likes 0 ·