question

tmartin000 avatar image
tmartin000 asked

Passthru shore current off vs actual

My Multi in PassThru is actually showing an AC load of 5.8 A and the shore is 11.0 A. To test the system I’m using a small 600 W heater With three separate heat settings. The other two heat settings appear to be correct, but the middle setting is showing as indicated above.

How can that be?

Essentially other than a couple of 110 LED lights to draw almost nothing the heater is the only load.

Also, current limit is set to 17 Amps.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVenus OSbug report
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @tmartin000,

It sounds like that heater uses a thyristor to regulate the load. Basically there is only a single element in there, to reduce the amount of heat it produces, it 'cuts' the sine wave. This non-linear power factor can't be accurately shown on the overview.

cleanshot-2023-11-15-at-150459.jpg

For more info you can google about thyristor and non-linear loads. There is also a section on non-linear loads in the 6.3. System current, VA and Watts chapter of wiring unlimited.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tmartin000 avatar image
tmartin000 answered ·

More info with a picimage.jpg

image.jpg (2.3 MiB)
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Odd. Looks like a bug. Please post a shot where the values are correct.

Did you set the input current limit?

Have passed it on to Victron for you.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Also, which software versions are on the multiplus and GX device?

2 |3000

tmartin000 avatar image
tmartin000 answered ·

Thank you!

That makes sense. I’ll read the literature on this.

To clarify for others, all the software is up as of 2 days ago. Including the Multi and Cerbo. Also, yes , input current was set via cerbo interface at 17 amps.

As a final note, I tossed the odd heater out and went with a unit that has 3 distinctive settings and indeed indicates all three settings perfectly.

Just goes to show how fantastic Victron and supporters are at helping us all.

Thank you Guy for your answer!

2 |3000