question

h2009 avatar image
h2009 asked

Victron feeding, another Victron/other solution

Hi there

I’m looking to expand my current 3 phase VE system but the primary current area I’ve run out of space and there’s no chance of relocating everything.

Basically, I current have 80kw battery storage but I’m limited by the MP2 inverters loading (10kw per phase). I’m edging on the power limit side at peak times.

So I’m looking to either build another 3 phase VE system and more batteries or look at another solution 3 phase inverter with AC coupled batteries. This system would handle any new loads exclusively, with the potential to “feed back” power to the current system.

I would need inverters that are able to handle atleast another 10kw per phase.

The batteries will be topped up by the PV system or grid.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could best achieve this or foresee any issues I might have?

Lithium Batterymultiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Dean Perry avatar image
Dean Perry answered ·

PV Inverters are an easy add if you have roof space for more panels and your peak time is during the day. Upside - same circuits. Downside - demand management with solar capacity/battery SOC in mind.

We've done two systems running off one set of batteries. There are wrinkles but if you have a hefty battery system (eg: a bunch of BYD LVL 15.4) it is doable.

Of course, this means two switchboards etc as it's a completely independent power supply.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@h2009

A cascade set up with ESS, is not a supported.

Feeding back from one VE system to the other can make oscillations develop. Among other problems so part of the reason why it is not a good idea.

Totally separate the DB, or make a frame so you and add the new row of inverters in 3d to hold the parallel addition.

Then air con the room.

2 |3000

h2009 avatar image
h2009 answered ·

Hi, thanks for all your comments.

What about AC inverter + batteries solution; is there any issues with this setup or suggestion on suitable 3 phase inverters which will add another 10kw per phase?

I have thought about adding more VE Inverters in 3D, just thinking about the cabling. Currently my runs are around 6.5m so I have 2x70mm (so 140mm cross) cables running to the current inverters. If I can find away to add more inverters in 3D what's the possibility of splitting those cables so have 1x70mm to each inverter?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?