question

berkeleycurtis avatar image
berkeleycurtis asked

SmartShunt invisible on VictronConnect and display panel

First time on this forum. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

All was fine until I disconnected my batteries and shut off power to protect the boat’s electrical system during arc welding.

Upon reconnecting batteries and turning power back on the SmartShunt is nowhere to be seen i.e. it’s missing from the VictronConnect device list, battery SOC is missing, and the system no longer displays DC consumption.

How can I get the SmartShunt back on line?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Is the BT LED flashing on the SmartShunt? If not, it doesn't have power, so check the inline fuse on its power supply wire.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

berkeleycurtis avatar image
berkeleycurtis answered ·

Thanks for the response. After reading a bit more I guessed that I blew the fuse. Have to check in the morning. I hope that’s all it is.

Was my procedure wrong? I disconnected the solar panel whose wires pass through the stainless tube to be welded … pulled the wires.

Turned off inverter. Shut off power at the main switch. Disconnected the positive terminal of each battery in the battery bank.

When welding complete I reversed the process.

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
If you are welding on a steel boat and you want to disconnect the equipment electrically you do it via the negative ground lead. There should only be one negative ground connection to the hull. Often people do not disconnect when welding, they just make sure that the earthing clamp on the welder is right next to the point being welded.

Not sure why you blew the fuse although these fuse holders do sometimes corrode especially if in a damp engine bay so it may have been distrubed.

0 Likes 0 ·