question

bimo avatar image
bimo asked

How to set up a 48V LiFePo ESS cofunctioning as forklift traction battery?

Hello all,

I am pretty certain this is never been adressed, but I would be more than happy if you could proof me wrong.

I am currently building a ~20kWp grid-tied PV project. So far nothing special.

Regarding the obviously wanted maxed out self-consumption I can not resist to think about a battery solution. But financially the ESS would kick out another thing I am currently demanding: a traction battery for my 48V forklift.

As I would call myself sane at all: why not use one LiFePo4 battery for both applications?

The forklift is hardly ever used. Maybe one or two times a week, not even that in winter. An if it is used the run-time is very limited (1 hour max, not 100% load).

So I figured out that the ESS I were planning (10-15kWh) would be more than fit to power the forklift. I am currently running some testing, but so far I was not able to the the forklift to draw more than 100A from a improvised lead-setup.

My suggestion would be:

GRID <---> MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 <-- (High current connector) --> [BMS not specified yet] <---> Battery-Packs (most likely 16 * Eve LF280K v3 Prismatic 280Ah)

Where everything past the connector is inside the forklift.

I know that there can't be any data read through the multiplus without a battery attached, but would that work from what you know?

What kind of BMS would you rather suggest? The financially most appealing might not be the best idea, but where would I look for improvements?

I guess a Cerbo GX would not hurt to add?

Maybe there is a option to have a second (small) battery always attached to the Multiplus, any ideas on that?

Thanks in advance for all help, I hope we find a solution, even if my problem sounds very exotic.

Best regards

Bimo

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxESS48v battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

The MultiPlus is not made to run without batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bimo avatar image bimo commented ·
Thanks a lot.

I guess there would be no need for the multiplus to run without batteries, I could just shut it off while using the forklift, right?

0 Likes 0 ·