question

pavalijo avatar image
pavalijo asked

Multiplus temperature problem

I have a 12/3000/120 multiplus inverter charger linked to a 345ah Rolls agm housebank and start battery in a yacht.

The charger was set at 60amps by the installer. Year one in the uk it worked perfectly. Last year in Southern Brittany the overheating link would occasionally blink, even when the batteries were not warm to the touch. It was warmer in Southern Brittany.

This year in Galicia, NW Spain, temperatures have recently risen and I am getting this problem again, but for the last two days turning off for a while and back on again is not clearing the problem - but it has been over 30c in the boat.

My question is this - is the temperature sensor function programmable and if so could the setting have been set too low?

Or - could this be a faulty sensor?

If the problem is a programming setting, could I reset it? I recall that the installer had to download software onto his laptop to enable him to configure the charge settings.

Many thanks in advance for any advice preferred!

Regards

Paul

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargererrorTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi@Pavalijo

The temp LED is for internal temperature.

I suggest you contact the nearest Victron installer to have him/her update the firmware of the unit to the latest version, and check the inside of the unit for possible reasons for these errors.

Does the fan in the unit still run?

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pavalijo avatar image
pavalijo answered ·

I have been reading manuals and looking online, and wonder if the temperature warning relates to the internal temperature of the multiplus rather than the battery temperature?

Either way, both are cool to the touch.

Further info - the temperature sensor is connected to a negative terminal, which is tight. With the controller switched to “charger only” the mains on and bulk charge lights are on constantly and the temperature light is flashing.

I turned the whole thing off for an hour and then back on. Bulk charging then went normally for 15 minutes or so before the red temperature light started flashing and charging stopped (but the bulk light stayed on).

Unfortunately it’s a grey day and so the solar panels aren’t helping much!!

2 |3000

pavalijo avatar image
pavalijo answered ·

Many thanks, the handbook was not entirely clear but I was suspecting that it was the temperature of the unit and not the batteries.

Yes the fan runs on the now very limited occasions that I get it to charge.

This morning (very sunny, unlike yesterday) the batteries have lifted charge to 97% and the Victron MPPT is on float. However the charger panel shows bulk charge and temperature fault (flashing as usual), even when turned off, left a few minutes, and back on again.

The problem has been intermittent but has suddenly got much worse.

I will try and find a Victron agent locally.

2 |3000

dwilcock avatar image
dwilcock answered ·

Hi @Pavalijo

We’ve had similar issues with our MultiPlus 12/3000/120 inverter charger linked to 880Amph Lifeline AGM batteries on a yacht. It worked fine in New Zealand but has problems in the warmer temperatures of the Pacific Islands. The internal fan is working and we updated the firmware in May. We’ve installed a vent and an extractor fan in the space where it’s installed but are still having problems. Turning down the current limiter dial helps a bit but means we end up running the generator a long time. Would be interested to know if you managed to solve the problem.

Thanks

Diane

2 |3000

neildilgee avatar image
neildilgee answered ·

I'm having the same issue. My system (2 Multis 3000VA in Parallel) has been running flawlessly and even with ambient temperatures at 14 degrees celcius and the load at 2200w, I have temperature alarm lights on the multis. I've updated the firmware to 482 and still having issues.

2 |3000