question

mattyappleseed avatar image
mattyappleseed asked

Seeking Advice on Cerbo GX: Distributed Voltage and Current Control (DVCC)

Greetings and Good Tidings to All,

Novice here seeking some guidance on Distributed Voltage and Current Control (DVCC) capabilites of the Cerbo GX from seasoned and experience individuals.

First Question

I have been reading through section 11 of the Cerbo GX Manual over and over again and understand that the Cerbo GX is able to "Limit charge current" of the MPPT and MULTI

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html#UUID-134a51ed-7ac6-c8b0-5e31-902b3c5fb68a

In my case, we are installing an MPPT 100/50 and a MultiPlus II 3000 and am hoping the "Limit charge current" applies to these models... would that be true or false?

Second Question

The Cerbo Manual says, "where an intelligent battery BMS is installed and connected via CAN-bus...for such batteries there is no need to wire allow to charge (ATC) and allow to discharge (ATD) connections to the AUX inputs of a Multi or Quattro."

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html#UUID-7cff74c6-8715-ceaf-1b6d-6e050eeba3e5

Clarification: we are installing 2x Victron 200 AH Lithium Smart Battery and a Smart BMS CL 12-100

I know you can wire Allow to Charge (ATC) & Allow to Discharge (ATD) from the Smart BMS CL 12-100 to the MultiPlus II Inverter/Charger with the Non-Inverting Remote On-Off Cable, but I wanted to verify that wiring the ATC/ATD is not necessary if the Cerbo GX is installed and DVCC is configured.

On that note, do I still need to connect the Smart BMS CL12-100 to the MPPT 100/50 Solar Controller? (via the Charge Disconnect with a VE.Direct Non-Inverting Remote On-Off Cable?)

The Manual does not mention anything about this connection.

Hoping to find out whether all those cables are necessary before spending the $76.

Third Question

Last but not least, I was considering purchasing the Smart BatteryProtect 12/24V to use with our DC load (I figured this would be a smart investment to safeguard and prolong the life of our battery bank).

Does the Cerbo GX (DVCC or otherwise) have any functionality comparable to the Smart BatteryProtect? (to shut down the DC loads and protect of the battery against excessive discharge) or will I need to purchase a Smart BatteryProtect?

Hoping to find out whether the Smart BatteryProtect is necessary before spending the $78.

Anyways, many thanks and much appreciation to the community and its stewards in advance for your help! Although to me, this information is worth only a modest $154 (plus applicable tax and shipping costs) to humanity[!said with emphasis!] and the boundless number of people pursuing freedom with Victron[!!insert greater emphasis!!] the information in this post becomes priceless beyond measure...[voice fades to pause] HUUZZAAAHHHH[!!!superior emphasis!!!]

Yours truly,

Matty Appleseed on YouTube

In the pursuit of freedom, truth, and the liberation of mankind

cerbo gxBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
  1. Yes
  2. All through the Cerbo, so no
  3. BMS will do this, so optional.
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mattyappleseed avatar image mattyappleseed commented ·

Wanted to circle back to this... I have a Smart BMS CL12-100

This doesn't seem to have the ability to control DC load disconnect.

I think the 200 version does, but I would need a Smart Battery Protect it seems.

0 Likes 0 ·
mattyappleseed answered ·

Thank you for the quick response!

I was worried that the Smart BMS CL 12/100 or Cerbo GX would not have a line of communication to shut down the DC Circuit without the Smart BatteryProtect.

I am trying to wrap my head around how this is done in lieu of that.

Is the communication coming from the BMS Battery Connectors based and/or is it based on data from the Smart Shunt?

Just curious to understand how these signals are accomplished to improve my understanding of the system.

Also, part of the reason I initially thought I needed the Smart BatteryProtect was because it is shown in a Victron wiring diagram with all the components I have minus the Cerbo GX.

US Van Manual & Drawing Smart BMS CL12/100 MultiPlus 3kVA 12V 120V 60Hz (victronenergy.com)

If the SmartShunt is involved would there be a need to configure it as a DC meter?

Or is there any other special configuration required?

DC Loads may not be accounted for, unless a SmartShunt or BMV-712 is installed and correctly configured as a DC meter.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html#UUID-134a51ed-7ac6-c8b0-5e31-902b3c5fb68a

I am going to start diving into the BMS Manual further now but I thought I would ask for the clarification and/or any further pointers on how this all works.

Thank you kindly for the help!

EDIT: Remote on/off terminal

The Remote on/off terminal can be used to disable alternator charging while the BMS functionality will remain active regardless of the remote on/off state.Depending on the Remote on/off function setting made via the VictronConnect app, it can also be used as system on/off switch (Charge and Load disconnect port will also be disabled) either by using a physical switch or a relay contact between L and H terminal or by using the soft switch in the VictronConnect app. Alternatively, terminal H can be switched to battery plus, or terminal L can be switched to battery minus.

From: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Smart_BMS_CL_12-100/en/introduction.html#UUID-33e7dfbe-56d9-3a85-f150-5c039079f80e

For anyone interested in this thread the Smart BMS CL 12-100 Manual clears up the confusion of question three.... who would have thought!!!

2 |3000

@kevgermany Can you please circle back on this one? I am trying to hook up the BMS now and do my initial charging, but the Smart BMS CL 12/100 does not have a CAN-BUS.

How will the Cerbo send ATC and ATD signals to Multi?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sorry, missed your replies. Almost all my notifications are set to off.

I mixed up the BMSs. My bad.

Cerbo needs a smart shunt or BMV to get battery info, this is via VE direct cable.

Cerbo relays will connect to the L/H pins of the battery protect and BMS by one of the methods in the manual.

Cerbo connects to multi with VE Can. This is a fully wired straight RJ45/LAN cable, get a good quality one. Don't forget to install the terminator in the other VE Can port on the Cerbo.

Hope I've got it right this time.

2 |3000

@kevgermany I am still struggling to understand how the Cerbo controls the MPPT and Multiplus

specifically, how does that stop charge and discharge when necessary.

I have a MPPT 100/50 and a MultiPlus 12v 3000

Is this accomplished with DVCC? I don't know what setting to use

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html#UUID-81665c42-3d69-e604-22f1-013170f53130

spec

The documentation has the table shown above. Our setup has two 200AH Victron Smart LiFePO4 Lithium Batteries with a Smart BMS CL12/100 so not the VE.Bus BMS V1 or V2 as shown in the table.

Our setup falls into the supported 3rd party managed battery section and the Battery Compatibility Manual shows our batteries but no actual information on which parameters need to be set.

Any clarification would be appreciated

2 |3000