question

bakterie avatar image
bakterie asked

Multiplus II 5000/48; VE.BUS communication problem

Multiplus II 5000/48 seems to only communicate with VEConfigure 3 and VEFlash. VictronConnect with laptop and MK3-USB does not show the Multiplus. Also no communication possible with VRM portal and VenusOs device ( raspberry pi with touchscreen ) ).

My installation is a Multiplus II 48/5000 with a LiFePo-Battery, a Victron smartshunt Battery Monitor and a VenusOS device ( Venus OS on a raspberry Pi 4 ).

Smartshunt is connected via VE.DIRECT-USB to the raspberry. Multiplus is connected via MK3-USB converter to the raspberry. That system did work well for a year and it was possible to monitor everything via VRM Portal. I could even change the configuration of the Multiplus via Remote Configure in combination with VEConfigure3.

Since around 10 days i can not Monitor operation of the Multiplus anymore. Dashboard shows a dash on AC Input and AC Loads. Below the Multiplus icon is an "OFF" sign. The battery shows with all parameters ( data from the smartshunt ). I am very sure that i did not change anything, no cabling changes and no updates to any of the devices.

What did i try to resolve it so far:

I switched ports on the Multiplus II ( second VE.BUS port ) and the raspberry ( other USB slots )

I updated the raspberry to VenusOS 3.12 .

I tried to connect with VictronConnect from a windows laptop. Program asked for MK3-Converter update which i did. Still no connection, it only shows the Venus device.

Connection with VEConfigure3 from the laptop works. I can monitor all parameters and can also make changes.

Connection with VEFlash from the laptop works as well and i did update the Multiplus to the latest firmware ( 506 ).

I dont have a clue why the communication link to the raspberry and VictronConnect fails but is still working with VEConfigure and VEFlash. Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Joerg

Multiplus-IIVenus OSVE.Busmk3-usb
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There's a three way switch on the front of your unit, possibly underneath. Make sure it's in the on position.

Also check the settings in VRM from the switch icon, top right of the dashboard.

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
bakterie avatar image
bakterie answered ·

The MK3-USB is fixed!

It seems that the product had a "corrupt" EEPROM.

This thread had the solution:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/80746/lost-connection-to-multiplus-from-rpi-3b.html?sort=vote

After i wrote the correct values to the chip it was recognized again.

First it did not show up as device on the raspberry venus. So i tried it with a phone and USB and it right away connected.

Later i also managed to get it recognized by the raspi. On my journey to understand the problem i change some lines in the serial-starter.rules file. After i returned that to the original state MK3 showed up after a reboot.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bakterie avatar image
bakterie answered ·

Scratching my head...

How could i connect to the unit with VEConfigure or upgrade the unit with VEFlash if its in the OFF position. Is that really possible?

The "switch icon" in VRM is not available, probably because the unit has no connection to the VenusOS device ( as i explained ) that could forward commands from VRM to the Multiplus.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help...

Minor correction:

Yes, there is a "switch icon" on the VRM Portal dashboard. But the "Control:" menu is empty.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Remember that we don't know what's happening at your end. It often pays to check and eliminate what seems blindingly obvious.
1 Like 1 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello Joerg, maybe it could be this one.
When you look in the device list on the RaspBerry, click on the MultiPlus-II 5000 , in side this menu there is maybe an option to Upgrade the MK3 interface.

Rob

2 |3000

bakterie avatar image
bakterie answered ·

I already updated the MK3 Interface. Victron Connect asked to do this when i started the program.

Besides that there is no more Multiplus II in the device list of the Venus Raspberry. Probably because of the communication problem.

2 |3000

iammotorhomeless avatar image
iammotorhomeless answered ·

@bakterie Raspberry Pi with the MK3-USB can be a problem
check to see if you have any conflicts with the VRM instance number

personally I find that the MK3-USB works better if pluged in to one of the Pi USB 2.0 slots

If you look at your Device list on the VRM portal... does it show any 'disconnected' Products ?

1698048248282.png

1698048248282.png (28.2 KiB)
2 |3000

bakterie avatar image
bakterie answered ·

Hello @IamMotorHomeless ,

yes i am aware of the possible trouble with raspberry pi and MK3-USB and i tried other USB slots as well.

The device list does only show the victron smartshunt. No disconnected devices.

I think i did not describe the problem precisely and i tried to correct that in the first sentence of this post.

It is NOT ( only ) about the lost communication between raspi and Multiplus II.

What really confuses me is that i am not able to connect to the Multi with the VictronConnect program on a windows laptop via the MK3-USB cable and VE.BUS. At the first try the VictronConnect asked to update the MK3 Firmware which i did. But it does not find the Multiplus it will only find the VenusOS device ( raspberry ).

So now onecould say, okay the MK3-USB is broken.

But...

It i am able to connect with the same laptop and same MK3-USB via the VEConfigure3 program and it shows all parameters ( AC voltage, frequency , Ac in, AC loads, etc... ). And i can configure the Multiplus with this program.

I am also able to connect with the same laptop and same MK3-USB via the VEFlash program. So i was able to flash the newest firmware for the Multiplus II with this tool.

So the big question is, why can i talk to the Multi with these two tools ( VEConfigure and VEFlash ) but not with VictronConnect on the same hardware setup ( cable, MK3 , Laptop, OS ).

I hope it is more clear now what my quwstion is...

Best regards

Joerg

1 comment
2 |3000

iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless commented ·

@bakterie

sorry, I still a little confused
I try not to use VictronConnect other than on the App and BT

but just so I have this, the problem is connecting from the LapTop to the Multi with VictronConnect

I have two systems and Cerbo and a Pi... this is all I see in VictronConnect on the Laptop

Local
1698053213980.png
and VRM
1698053501961.png

my multiplus 48/1600 does not show up... just the shunt

is this what you are getting at ??

0 Likes 0 ·
1698053213980.png (55.0 KiB)
1698053501961.png (123.6 KiB)
bakterie avatar image
bakterie answered ·

Now i am confused too...

Are these screenshots from a victron connect program that is running on your laptop which is connected to a Multiplus via a MK3-USB cable?

Yes, this is what it looks on my Victron Connect screen on the laptop.

If the Multiplus is connected with a MK3-USB cable the Multiplus should show up as well, but it does not.

3 comments
2 |3000

iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless commented ·

Yes... Dell laptop, local ethernet to the Pi to the MK3-USB cable, to the shunt and MP1600

0 Likes 0 ·
bakterie avatar image bakterie iammotorhomeless commented ·
In my case it is a direct connection between laptop and Multiplus. I am not sure if you can get the same functionality with the pi ( Venus os device? ) in the middle.
0 Likes 0 ·
iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless bakterie commented ·

@bakterie ok, I only direct connected once, when I first set it up. but I don't think i used VictronConnect (it's very limited when trying to do some of the things)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources