question

blakelarkin avatar image
blakelarkin asked

Victron Smart Shunt connection question

I’m looking at buying a smart shunt, I have a battery under my bonnet and one under my tray connected in parallel with loads coming off each, I have a dcdc connected the front one and solar connected to the rear, can I connect a shunt to this setup by connecting all my earths on the rear battery to a bus bar then running a cable to the front onto the shunt and then do the same with earths on the front battery so I will essentially have two cables connected to the load side of the shunt, then if I have both batteries grounded on the chassis can I ground the other end of the shunt to the chassis too?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Effectively you want to create a single battery from two wired in parallel.

The shunt only sees/measures loads through the battery negative connections.

The batteries must have a common negative. This is taken to the battery side of the shunt with no other connections to battery negs. Size cable carefully.

Load side of shunt should go to negative busbar(s), link multiple busbars with a suitably sized cable. Ground to chassis once from here. This is your common negative. Negatives of all consumers and chargers must go to the common neg.

Best to join the battery positives again with a suitably sized cable. Connect busbar(s) to this and connect loads and chargers to the positive busbars. Fuse carefully.

It would be worthwhile drawing up a wiring diagram before you start. And label cables.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.