question

jfabernathy avatar image
jfabernathy asked

Does MPPT 100/30 completely charge LFP battery bank?

I'm in the process of upgrading my solar/battery system. The first step was to put 500W of solar panels on the roof of my RV in series connected to my Victron 100/30 charge controller. My batteries are still lead-acid flooded at this time so the 100/30 is set to match their parameters.

I want to change out the batteries next and know I'll have to update the MPPT 100/30 parameters to match the new litium batteries.

However the RV has a FLA only AC to DC converter that will not work properly with the new LFP batteries. I could buy a Lithium version of that converter but it's very expensive.

So my question is will my MPPT 100/30 completely maintain my LFP batteries without the need to even have a converter in the RV? The converter specs talk about a boost mode that needs to be done every few weeks that they say the MPPT doesn't have. How much of this is just fake news?

MPPT SmartSolarLithium Batterycampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The converter specs talk about a boost mode that needs to be done every few weeks that they say the MPPT doesn't have. How much of this is just fake news?

All of it.

The MPPT charge controller has both bulk mode for fast charging, and an equalise mode (Boost?) which is NOT needed for Lithium batteries, but is needed for lead acid batteries on a monthly or bi monthly basis.

your MPPT would be able to fully charge the Li batteries, provided that you are putting in more energy than you are taking out. If you are running a 12v system, most ac battery charges have a suitable output voltage to get the lithiums to 90% charge or more. Victron have some nice small ac chargers if you need one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?