question

braviaabt avatar image
braviaabt asked

[solved] IP65 Smartshunt in a CamperVan - real or virtual problem?

Hello to the forum community!

I am new here as since yesterday I am also a new SmartShunt IP65 user.

I refering to the audience with an IP65 related problem and would be grateful for any help/comment.

I let IP65 install in my CamperVan to gain the needed control over the leasure battery. The installation went smooth, the aplication start-up also, everything looked as exepected when examining the battery being charged by solar pannel and/or by connection to aux power line and with differnt loads activated. However much to my surprise during the drive home a problem emerged: I noticed that the application is presenting that with the vehicle engine active the leasure battery is discharging instead of charging!

The installer/dealear was surprised to learn that too and now we joined efforts to investigate and solve the problem. I would say that is must be something related to the chassis wiring but I'm not sure what could it be. The battery negative is simply wired to the appropriate side of the SmartShunt. Could anyone please help, may be with a hint of what could be wrong if not with a complete solution to the problem?

I am positive, that he in reality the alternator does charge the leasure battery. In three years of owing the CamperVan that could hardly remain unnoteced.

Kind regards,

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
braviaabt avatar image
braviaabt answered ·

Hi, I'm happy to announce that we are about to sort this thing out: the CamperVan producer just informed me, that the they found out that they erroneously equipped the vehice with a relay instead of the DC-DC booster which is required for a smart alternator. They invited me to drive the CamperVan back to their production plant to mend the problem someday in November.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for the rendered help and support, but most gratitude goes to theo 74. Following his answer I learned a lot about the issue and been able to act accordingly.

But first and foremost, I am very happy and satisfied with SmartShunt IP65 itself. If not for it's immediate control benefit who knows how long and in what manner the built-in problem would make our CamperVan experience bitter.

I would duly return to this forum in November and I am positive, that I would just confirm that by that time the problem is definitively solved.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

regman54 avatar image regman54 commented ·
Thanks for the update and good news indeed. Kudos to the camper manufacturer for recognizing the mistake and is going to make the necessary correction. Last spring I installed a SmartShunt on my travel trailer and found it to be a very useful tool in monitoring the house batteries while dry camping.
1 Like 1 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Check the wiring - this description indicates that something is installed incorrectly. Nothing may be connected to the "battery" side of the shunt other than the battery, and nothing may be connected to the battery negative other than the "battery" side of the shunt.

2 |3000

braviaabt avatar image
braviaabt answered ·

Thank you Justin for your reply.

I'm quite sure that the installer respected the IP65 connection rule you emphasise. Here is the wiring scheme:

baterije-vezava-smartshunt-ip65.png

However, the alternator wiring is not evidented there, but the CamperVan producer assures that by default it charges both, the vehicle and the leisure battery. I guess that the alternator + must come out of the B1+ and the B2+ and that alternator - is on chassis (ground).

I don't exlude that the IP65 readout is correct and that there is a malfunction in alternator circuit feeding liesure battery just because in the three years of CamperVan experience we strictly practice connection to the aux power line (except while driving). Unfortunately I never paid much attention to leisure battery so now I'm not in position to identify any irregularity or even change in the battery behaviour. I tried to compensate the lack of experience with IP65 as the first time we wanted to rely on battery for a day, we run out of energy after 6 hours, with the house control pannel showing 3/4 of remaining capacity....

Any idea how to nail the problem?

2 |3000

theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

Like @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA wrote: Nothing may be connected to the "battery" side of the shunt other than the battery, and nothing may be connected to the battery negative other than the "battery" side of the shunt.

And your wiring scheme shows someting else.

You need to connect the IP65 shunt connection Batttery Minus directly on to the leisure battery minus terminal, and what was connected to the leisure battery minus terminal must be connected on to the IP65 shunt Load Battery.

4 comments
2 |3000

braviaabt avatar image braviaabt commented ·

theo74 avatar image

theo74

Exactly: the cable on batt - has been detached (clamp with two screws) and attached to the IP65 (M 10, load side), while a new cable has been installed on the battery - clamp with the other end attached to IP65 (M 10, battery side). In other words, IP65 has been "inserted" in the original cable. There is nothing else attached to the battery - other than IP65.

My drawing might not be clear enoughh as I have drawn over the official wiring diagram with some noughty labels positioned right over the wire structure.

So, if we assume I am not wrong about the correct wiring of IP65, what else could cause the problem?

Or, if if we assume the fault is in the wiring, where and how the active alternator coud be "illegaly" wired?

Kind regards,

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ braviaabt commented ·

@BraviaABT

W25/1 bypasses the shunt and goes to earth. It should earth through the shunt. Otherwise its current will not be seen by the shunt

1 Like 1 ·
braviaabt avatar image braviaabt kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

kevgermany ♦♦.. but... you mean that w/25 should be connected to the other side of the shunt? If yes, that would mean to connect w/25 to the - battery, what is exactly what should not be done...I am confused.

Could you be more specific, pease?

Kind regards,

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ braviaabt commented ·
See @Theo74 replies.
0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

To help lesson any confusion other readers may have about what "IP65" means it is nothing more than a dust and liquid Ingress Prodection code. This code can be applied to many other devices as well. From Wikipedia: IP Code.

1 comment
2 |3000

Sorry for not being precise.

IP65 = Victron Energy SmartShunt IP65

I hope that otherwise my post is consitent enough to understand the problem and possibly help me move to a solution.

Kind regards,

0 Likes 0 ·
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

To say it more simple: in between the IP65 shunt and the battery negative nothing can be connected.

The drawing below shows that the shunt is connected first to the battery, no additional wires first.

shunt.png

shunt.png (7.2 KiB)
2 |3000

braviaabt avatar image
braviaabt answered ·

Thank you theo74.

I would sware that this is how shunt is wired in my camper. A single cabel connects Batt - to Shunt Batt side! There are no other connections in between! At least - this is how it can be seen. So, IMHO, to solve the problem a wire that is hidden to the eyes should be searched for, or, there must be a hocus-pocus on the alternator charger part of the circuit. I don't have a clue how to approach each point and I count that the shunt installer and the CamperVan producer would join forces to figure it out.

I wonder if I should involve a car-electrician/service and could it help to enable or speed-up the diagnose of the problem?

I guess there must be at least tens of CamperVans based on Ducato/Jumper/Boxer vans with common CamperVan 12V infrastructure built-in (exactly like mine) with an add-on of SmartShunt IP65 circulating around Europe. Am I the first and the only to experience such problem?

KInd regards,

2 |3000

theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

When the shunt is connected directly on to the battery negative and not any wire is in between the shunt and the battery negative, then the discharge current from your battery alsmost must be true, and not something which has to do with a wrong connection of the shunt it self.

Or the shunt it self is not calibrated, but I don't think this is the issue in case of unclear and higher discharge currents... Out of the box the shunt is accurate enough to measure normal currents.

Then you need to search for a load or fault, what is probably causing more current to be consumed than the alternator can deliver.

1. Bad grounding of the alternator. Check, clean, measure.

2. D+ signal from the alternator is not ok/missing. Check, clean, measure.

3. Charge relay/Cirix does not get the D+ signal, or is broken. Measure In and Out

4. Alternative to point 3; DC-DC charger booster is broken, or does no deliver enough current.

5. Refrigerator is pulling more amps at 12VDC during driving, than the alternator can deliver.

6. Connections in the 12VDC circuit are bad, loose, filthy. Check, clean, measure.

When the engine is off, a healthy domestic battery or starter battery should be at about 12.5V.

When the engine is running, you should measure about 14,0-14,4V charge power on both batteries.

If you have a current clamp meter, than you can measure all the different cables leaving the busbar to their loads. To find out which load is pulling a lot of current as a result of which the battery drains.

2 |3000

braviaabt avatar image
braviaabt answered ·

Excellent theo74, thank you very much!

I have the feeling that from here we can get to the diagnose and to the solution.

Why? Because I do not recall that at the end of the journey/drive with the CamperVan I have ever read all the 8 LEDs on the CamperVan control pannel indicating the full level of the leasure battery. One or two were always missing. But until recently I have never run into leisure battery capacity problem (I guess due to strict and prompt usage of mains power) which was the trigger to seek for better monitoring. So the cause of the problem seems not to be "binary" - right/wrong or on/off, but something in beetween: just good/bad enough not to be easily noticed.

Let's hunt the problem by your list, then!

Be sure I will report the result.

Kind regards,

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I'm assuming that the device on the left of the diagram is a relay that connects the vehicle and leisure battery positives when engaged. If so a discharge of the leisure battery could happen if the leisure battery voltage is HIGHER than that of the vehicle battery and the alternator. You should make those voltage measurements with the relay open.

The best way to insure no back-charging occurs is to use a DC-DC charger instead of a relay.

2 |3000

braviaabt avatar image
braviaabt answered ·

Kevin Windrem, thank you!

This explains why the problem might be there since a long time, but never caused "black outs": The leise battery would feed the car battery until the voltages are even while alternator manages to keep a decent level of both, but never fulls the up to the edge.

Something to consider to troubleshoot at first, I guess.

Anyhow, with the help from this forum I gain confidence that the problem coud be sorted out, sooner or later and that the purchase of SmartShunt was a real "bingo"!

Kind regards,

1 comment
2 |3000

Just to duly wrap-up the post with the final info: the campervan manufacturer just built in a DC-DC booster and now the leasure battery gets filled up even after a short drive, what can be perfectly monitored on the SmartShunt app.

1 Like 1 ·