question

h2009 avatar image
h2009 asked

Plyontec Batteries - any issues keep charge levels between 20-60% long term?

Hi everyone, quick question, is there any issues with not charging my batteries to 100%? I normally charge them to a maximum of 60%. Now I’m using D ESS that does very little bit more.

battery chargingLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

They need a regular full charge so the BMS can balance the cells. Failure to do this can lead to permanent damage.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kenzo avatar image kenzo commented ·
Can you expand on the nature of permanent damage? There appear to be plenty of cell vendors that recommend SOC < 100% so that would be interesting to understand better.
0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image daza kenzo commented ·
@kenzo Loss of cell capacity or Loss of cell/cells itself
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @h2009,

The main issue I would expect is that the state of charge becomes less accurate over time.

I would do a manual recharge to 100% once a month or so.

That process would also give you hints if the battery cells are going out of balance over time (as the battery will not reach 100% until they are pretty close).

Lithium batteries are far more tolerant of cycling anywhere in their 'safe range' between 10%~90% than lead acid, but old habits die hard :)

2 |3000