question

treva31 avatar image
treva31 asked

Current from solar but not to battery MPPT 100/30

I have a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/30.

Charging a 12v Lithium from a single panel.

It used to work fine. In the history it looks like there was a high voltage on the PV (75.45v) and the battery (36.42v), and then no charging since then.

Luckily I also have a spare SmartSolar75/10 which still charges the battery just fine, so the panel and the battery are ok.

I am using the same battery settings and cables, just swapping out the charger.

When I try my 100/30 now it won't charge, even on a nice sunny day when the 75/10 does charge.

It shows the battery voltage and the PV voltage, but no current ever flows to the battery.

I have tried restoring default settings, disable/enable charging, temperature options disabled.

I did use the disable charging option before and am wondering if that is stuck off despite what the software says. I've tried turning it off and on again though. A hard/factory settings reset would be great but I don't think that's possible?

Or maybe something got fried inside from the high voltage surge? I guess not the fuse or the voltage sensors but maybe the MOFSET?

Hope you can help.

Thanks!

big-not-charging.pngbig-history-high-voltage.pngbig-battery-settings.png

75/10 Charger working correctly with same settings, cables, panel and time:

small-charging.pngsmall-battery-settings.png

MPPT SmartSolarchargersolarsmart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @treva31,

I suggest running through this pre-RMA check list:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Pre-RMA_Bench_Test_Instructions/en/pre-rma-test-form---mppt-solar-charger.html

It's a good and thorough troubleshooting process to see if it's a hardware, installation, or configuration issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The 100/30 can only handle 12V and 24V so I guess the 36V killed the MPPT.

2 comments
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
Concur. If the battery engaged charge protection at peak MPPT output, it could easily over-volt. Seen it many times where 12V systems hit mid 20s voltage on a BMS cut off.

0 Likes 0 ·
treva31 avatar image treva31 snoobler commented ·
Oh dear!

Any advice for my next charger?

I'm actually upgrading to 2 x 250w panels and 2 x 100ah lithium batteries. And I currently only have the 75/10 Smartsolar.

Could I get away with a PWM charger?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic