question

greatlake avatar image
greatlake asked

Battery Balancer & BMV-712 wiring

I am using BMV-712 smart battery monitor along with the Battery balancer on my 2x 12V battery banks (in series, 24V).
The BMV-712 manual and the quick installation guide say that

the shunt is the first and only thing that should be connected to the battery negative.

Note that there should be no other connections on this side of the shunt or on the negative battery terminal. Any loads or chargers connected here will be excluded from the battery state of charge calculation.

Does this also apply to the battery balancer or may I connect it like in fig.1 with a wire to the negative battery pole directly?
battery-balancer-wiring01.pngOr will the measurement become inaccurate so that I need to do the wiring like in fig.2?
battery-balancer-wiring02.png
Thanks in advance.

BMV Battery MonitorwiringBattery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's so little current draw that it won't affect readings significantly. Mine's wired direct to batteries, ignoring the shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

greatlake avatar image
greatlake answered ·

Thank you very much! When I connect the balancer to the negative terminal of the battery I can use three wires of the same length which is another advantage to maintain accuracy of the measurement.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Victron Wiring Unlimited Book

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic