question

peterkulisek avatar image
peterkulisek asked

Pylontech US5000 charging only 15A

Hello,

please have somebody some ideas what can cause this problem?

I have installed MPII-48/10000 - it only serves as ESS for charging car during night. For beggining I had only one US5000 connected (DC current set max. 50A), all works fine. (I am planning gradually adding next batteries)

I added one more US5000, keep they charging 4A for 2 days for balancing.

But when I increase charging current (in MP settings) to for examle 100Amps, battery is still charging max 15A, sometimes 16A.

Some ideas what it can be caused by?

Can it be because of unballanced cells? (new battery is n. 1) When charge 4Amps, difference between min and max cell are abou 0,006A, when it charges 13A, differences increase to about 0,013A.

In batteries settings I have allowed 160A charging current.

Thank you so much for replies and ideas

img-7497.pngimg-7498.png

battery charging
img-7497.png (450.4 KiB)
img-7498.png (501.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
peterkulisek answered ·

I tried connect only one of batteries and problem still the same - it charges battery only about 15A. So that means something incorrect set in MP? (I think if problem in batteries, it will be charging 2 batteries 30Amps)

Any ides what it can be? I run out of options.

Thank you a lot for every help

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

From recent learning

Assuming correctly connected with the Victron type A cable to the GX.

Batteries control charge rate and overrule what set in the Multiplus, unless the multiplus has a lower setting than the batteries want.

In the advanced section of VRM you can turn on battery temperature and show Charge Current Limit ( CCL). This is the value the battery sets. The battery will reduce charging when temperature low.

1 comment
2 |3000

peterkulisek answered ·

CCL Is showing 40Amps, but only charges max 15.

I tried connect only 1 battery and it also charges only 15A. So if this setting should be in battery it should charge two batteries by 30Amps, or?

But I am not sure it I understant you correctly, please can you give me exact procedure of where and what should I set?

Thank you so much

img-7508.jpeg

img-7508.jpeg (3.4 MiB)
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I don't see any solar chargers in that device list.

Does the console/VRM show any ESS status messages or words like "sustain"?

How are you running an ESS without PV? Is there a PV inverter?

What are your ESS settings in the GX and for the assistant?

Have you followed the pylon doc to the letter?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

What are your DVCC settings?

Does the inverter have an input current limit? What is the charge limit set to?

Not enough to go on.

Your system is either incorrectly configured, or that is all the batteries want to charge.

2 |3000

peterkulisek answered ·

VRM shows any messages.

Ther is grid-tied PV inverter, but have not installed smartmeter on him.

This problem persist even if ESS is in “keep batteries charged” mode, also in “optimized mode” even when PV inverter is feeding for example 4000W to grid.

img-7513.png

img-7514.pngimg-7515.png

img-7516.png

img-7513.png (564.2 KiB)
img-7514.png (561.1 KiB)
img-7515.png (567.2 KiB)
img-7516.png (558.1 KiB)
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You have manually limited the charge voltage in DVCC. That will prevent charging, please remove that limit and try again. That is a setting only used to help severe balancing issues and is not for permanent use.

At 1.2V below the required charge voltage, it will never properly charge.

This is why following the manual to the letter is important.

2 |3000

peterkulisek answered ·

I removed charge voltage limit but nothing changed

img-7519.png

img-7520.png

img-7519.png (557.5 KiB)
img-7520.png (497.9 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Your meter is showing a lot of power going into the grid. Since you are using a PV inverter, I would suggest you check that is configured right.

Change phase regulation to individual phase not total.

Check using a mk3 adapter and victron connect/veconfigure what the inverter input limit is set to, as well as the DC charge limit.

0 Likes 0 ·
peterkulisek avatar image peterkulisek nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Yes pv inverter is configured right, I send excess to grid. In Slovakia we have total phase metering, so it should be set to total. In veconnect AC input is set to 25A, and DC I think about 120A, sure ist more than 100A.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ peterkulisek commented ·
You have one multiplus, on one phase, but with 3phase metering so that can confuse things.

It should ignore the setting anyway, but I would try change it since you are having issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
peterkulisek avatar image peterkulisek nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Sorry I didnt state, I have 3 phase grid-tied inverter
0 Likes 0 ·
peterkulisek answered ·

Hello guys, thank you so much for your answers. The problem was probably some bug. In VeConnect I had set DC current 140A. I changed this value to 120A (what is enought) and it started working. I set it back to 140A and it is still working - so that means there could be some SW error?

2 |3000