question

broesel avatar image
broesel asked

MPPT 450/200 - Poor Shadow Management?

Hi,

in think the handling of shadow could be optimized on the MPPT 450/200.

Im a running a 450/200 with 4 Strings, each with 9 modules TW415.

As soon as there is 2 to 3 modules in shadow, the string is only gaining 200-300w - and the others with now shadow gain more than 1800W.

In full sun they all can deliver > 3000w, but the limiting factor is the 450/200 then, because it only allows up to 200A Output, which is reached then.

What is strange:

The "shadowed" string raises in Voltage, but drops in Ampere.

Shouldn't the MPPT start to find a new peak?

Is the a firmware change upcoming?

Enabling or disabling Shaow Management in the settings does not change anything at all...

Daniel

mppt rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The MPPT can't overcome panel physics. Shading a third of a bank is going to have a bad effect on generation, lowest common denominator. No MPPT firmware can fix that.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mo75 avatar image mo75 commented ·

It looks like you didn't understand the function of an MPPT in combination with bypass diodes.

"Shading a third of a bank" should just lower the output to almost 2/3, but the RS450's are mostly not capable to do that. THIS IS NOT GOOD.

-1 Like -1 ·
basco avatar image
basco answered ·

As soon as one (or more) panels of one string are in the shade, the bypass diodes of the shaded panels should start conducting. So you if you have 9 panels of 415 watt on a string and 2 panels are shaded, you should still be able to see close to 7 panels output, the two shaded panels are short circuited by the bypass diodes. IF this does not happen, the mppt is not getting the maximum power out of the remaining string.

I also own an mppt rs450 200 and i also see weird mppt behaviour. It's like the mppt is not scanning wide enough or with a too low resolution. It doesn't want to move. Example: fully clouded, stable condition, then sudden sunlight (lasting one hour), mppt's don't move for a long time or even shut down to a very low wattage. i haven't measured it exactly yet, but i have seen mppt's perform way better for sure.

I bought the unit to have the best MPPT on the market... so far, not impressed. I've read other entries on this forum that state similar findings. I hope this is not a HW restriction, and that it's fixable by SW.

This is NOT GOOD as Andy would say ;)

2 |3000

broesel avatar image
broesel answered ·

I agree with you basco.

When 2 Modules are shaded the output is far less than the remaining rest of the modules - Voltage rises, the MPPT would have to scan deeper so that the bypass diodes open up.

Daniel

2 |3000

beat avatar image
beat answered ·

I can confirm the same issue on both of the 450/100 "MPPT"s that I installed.

Due to this, the effective power production is only a fraction of what it should be and was modeled before commissioning, which is costly in missing power.

I have reported my issue to this thread, adding it to other similar reports.

It has been confirmed by Victron as the new algorithm needing improvement and being worked on:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/229322/mppt-rs-450-shadow-management.html

2 |3000