Vaso Stokić asked

SmartSolar 75/15 and Smart Shunt wiring

Hello all,

I have some doubts regarding proper wiring. My system is:

• SmartSolar 100/20 connected to 3x100W solar panels connected in parallel
  • SmartSolar 75/15 connected to 1x100W solar panel
  • 2x170Ah 12V batteries connected in parallel
  • 1000W pure sine inverter

Charge controllers are synced (VE.Smart Network) and everything is working flawlessly.

I've ordered SmartShunt 500A and I have following questions:

1. Can I connect both charge controllers battery negative wires to SmartShunt "load minus" terminal?
  2. I'm using load terminals on SmartSolar 75/15 to run 12V led strip in streetlight mode. Should negative wire of led strip be directly connected to SmartShunt "load minus" terminal and led strip positive connected to SmartSolar load positive terminal (Option 1 in diagram)? Or SmartSolar load negative should also be connected to SmartShunt "load minus" terminal (Option 2 in diagram)?
  3. If I don't connect SmartSolar load to SmartShunt and only put them on the same VE.Smart Network, will it be able to sum up total power consumption (SmartSolar load terminals consumtion + everything else that is going through SmartShunt)?

solar-setup.jpg

Edit: Fuses are not added to the diagram but I have them!

Appreciate your time and help!

Regards,

Vaso

SmartShunt
solar-setup.jpg (58.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Q1. Yes connect both SmartSolar negatives to the load side of the shunt as you have shown.

Q2. Option 2 will not work, there is no negative to the lights. Option 1 will work. However, I suggest using option 3 shown in green below as the most straightforward. The negatives on the SmartSolar are all connected together so any power used by the lighting passes through the SmartShunt and is measured in Option 3.

Q3. If you use Option 1 or Option 3 the lighting load and charge load will be measured correctly.

61784-solar-setup-kindlephoto-1327755415.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Vaso Stokić avatar image Vaso Stokić commented ·
Thank you for quick answer! I will go with option 3 as you suggest.
0 Likes 0 ·