question

matthias-nagel avatar image
matthias-nagel asked

Does a Battery Protect provide benefits when not in load path and used with a Cerbo GX?

Until now I though of a Battery Protect as a "last line of defense" which disconnects the load from the battery (before the battery becomes deeply discharged) or the chargers (in case the cell temperature is too low for save charging). However, the manual says that for loads with high capacity or inductivity the Battery Protect must not be installed in the load path, but connected to the control input of the load. Hence, this relies on the control unit of the load and a Battery Protect does not protect against a load depleting the battery in case of a malfunctioning control unit.

I have a Cerbo GX with a BMV 712 plus temperatur sensor in the system and all chargers (MPPT, Phoenix, ...) and loads (i.e. inverters) are connected to the Cerbo via VE.Direct/Bus/Can. Is there any benefit of the Battery Protect left? According to my understanding the Cerbo should throttle the MPPT, if the battery temperature is too low, and disable the inverter if the SoC becomes too low.

Using the Cerbo to control the Battery Protect and then use the Battery Protect to control the remote input signal of the inverter seems like a superfluous indirection.

cerbo gxBMV Battery MonitorBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

If you have the Cerbo or other GX in the system, battery protect is pretty much redundant.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·
"Pretty much"? What is missing?
0 Likes 0 ·