question

aggrolite avatar image
aggrolite asked

No connection to MPPT 70/15 VE.Direct

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to connect to my MPPT blue solar 70/15 via VE.direct bluetooth smart dongle but it won't work.

The LEDs are just flashing continuously blue and red.

In the VictronConnect app the device is listed, but connecting to it stops at 0% after confirming the PIN. Also, the picture of the device in the list is flashing between MPPT and SmartDongle.

Then I was trying to check what the VE.Direct port sends and connected a UART USB adapter to it. I was reading the following strings

manf      Victron Energy
prod      MPPT 12..24V/15A MK2
ser#      HQ130831P74
ver#      1.08
Checksum  ?

Nothing else is being sent. Is this normal? I know the firmware is pretty outdated but how could I update it if not via the bluetooth dongle?

Would be great if anyone had an idea.

Thanks!

MPPT ControllersBluetoothVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @aggrolite

This particular MPPT is unfortunately to old to be supported by VictronConnect. Due to an error in VictronConnect, it gives the impression that a connection can be made, which is not the case.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aggrolite avatar image aggrolite commented ·

You might want to update the compatibility list then ;)
As far as I read everything what comes with a VE.Direct port is compatible with the bluetooth smart dongle, which - according to your statement - is not true for old hardware.

Cited from the products page:
" The dongle is able to read data from all products with a VE.Direct port, such as the BMV-70x series battery monitors, Phoenix Inverters with VE.Direct port, MPPT Solar Charge Controllers. "

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Use a ve direct to USB cable to a device which runs victron connect.

2 |3000

aggrolite avatar image
aggrolite answered ·

I don't think this is the issue here. I can't connect via bluetooth smart dongle, why? Buying a usb to ve.direct cable is not what solves my problem.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

It will let you update the old firmware which should solve the problem.

What device are you using? Windows is not supported.

0 Likes 0 ·
aggrolite avatar image aggrolite nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Looks like the device is too old according to the Victron support, which is unfortunate. Thanks for your response anyways!
0 Likes 0 ·