question

petajoule avatar image
petajoule asked

Can I use a GX device as Proxy for MPPTs?

I hope I can explain what I am trying to achieve.

Right now, I am always connecting from VictronConnect to the MPPTs via BT dongle, looking up MPPTstats, history, fw updates etc. all working fine.

However, there is an installation I would like to consolidate by ditching BT dongles and connecting two MPPTs vie VE.Direct cables to a Venus GX.

Now my question is if I will see the same information via the Venus GX like I do when "talking" directly to the Bluetooth of the MPPTs?

In short: Will Venus GX serve as a proxy for these devices and if not: why not? ;-)

MPPT ControllersVenus GX - VGXBluetoothVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ยท

Hi PJ.

You can view pretty much the same info. But you cant update or change settings, so don't lose your dongles.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petajoule avatar image petajoule commented ยท

Okay! Looks good. So if I understand things correctly, for the bigger SmartSolar MPPTs with builtin Bluetooth you get best of both worlds by connecting them via VE.Direct cable to a GX.

And for the smaller ones with Dongle via VE.Direct it's an either-or.

0 Likes 0 ยท
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ petajoule commented ยท

Hi PJ,

"And for the smaller ones with Dongle via VE.Direct it's an either-or."

That's right. My small array is a bluesolar, and I have left the disconnected dongle screwed to the wall for future firmware updates. The bvm is on a usb>ve direct cable, and can be updated via that.

0 Likes 0 ยท