question

oguzuncu avatar image
oguzuncu asked

Using Orion DC_DC charger TR-smart with Cristec Battery isolator, orions disconnect every 5sec

Hi all,

I have a smart alternator on my Yanmar 4jHT110 engine on Jeanneau 51 Yacht. . I have had previously regular house batteries and now all replaced with 4x200amp Victron smart batteries with LynxBus/distributor and 3kwa MultiPlus, with Solars connected trhu MPPT controllers. 220 charging of house batteries goes thru Multiplus and other batteries 220 charging goes thru another 220 cristec battery charger. All of the solar charging and 220 charging setup works perfectly. Now the way currently the charging from Alternator is setup as follows. Boat had a Cristec Battery isolator with 3 outputs(mosfet). 1 output is going to Engine (120amp lead acid), one to Bow Truster batteries and one was previously going to lead acid service batteries. Since now all house batteries changed to Lifopo4 from Victron, the current setup is that 3rd output from Cristec battery isolator is connected to Orion DC-DC Non isolated TRSmart 30amp charger. I have 3 of these in paralel so i can provide 90amp chargin capacity and these Orions feeds into the Lynx BMS. Orions are right next to the isolator and from Orions to the BMS its less than 2m.

The engine and bow Truster are charged perfectly with no issues. Issue I have is Orions detects in their input voltage drop every 5seconds (all one by one) or so and they stop charging for 1sec and than starts recharging again and does this continuously. What have we done wrong here in the configuration we can not seem to find. The setup is done by Victron service. Any ideas or highly appreciated.

orion dc-dc
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ainoa avatar image ainoa commented ·
I‘m in a similar situation with a Beneteau 51.1, so take my comment with a grain of salt because I’m in the middle of figuring things out as we speak. But I can tell already a flaw in your design. The DC-DC charger is to be connected to the engine battery being charged by the alternator. The alternator needs a battery, you cannot connect the charger directly to the alternator. If you look at Victron diagrams for the DC-DC charger, you’ll see how it connected to the engine start battery from which the lithium house batteries are charged. I have the same Cristec with three outputs and basically you just disconnect the output to the house batteries and only use the other 2, one to the start battery, and the other one to the thruster.
0 Likes 0 ·
anton-kalachev avatar image anton-kalachev ainoa commented ·
How do you charger house battery from the shore power in this case?
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources