question

chris-9 avatar image
chris-9 asked

Did I kill my Orion tr dc dc Charger?

I have installed a 12/24 DC DC charger to charge two AGMs. It was all working fine but it was taking hours of engine run time for them to come up to the usable 80% charge. So I attached a standard battery charger to them to get them fully charged. I diconnected the cable joining the two batteries but left the output cables form the victron attached. once the batteries were fully charged I reconnected everything started the engine but now I get no lights on and and my app says there is no device.

Did i kill my victron by not disconnecting it? I assumed there was a diode in place that would protect it.

orion dc-dc
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Can you draw a schematic of how you have wired everything and you have disconnected?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
chris-9 avatar image
chris-9 answered ·

the disconnected cable is noted in bluescreen-shot-2023-09-17-at-21501-pm.png

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I don't see why this should cause damage to the Orion. Did you check the fuses? Disconnect the Orion for a few minutes and reconnect it.

Ask your dealer/installer if that doesn't help.

1 Like 1 ·
matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·
So you disconnected the wire marked with blue and then connected a standard 12V charger to each battery? The standard charger isn't in the diagram, is it?
0 Likes 0 ·
chris-9 avatar image chris-9 matthias-nagel commented ·
Yes I charged them seperatly because my charger is 12V not 24V.
0 Likes 0 ·
matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel chris-9 commented ·

That's what I assumed, but I wanted to make sure.

When you removed the connection between the both batteries and connected the standard charger to the left battery, did you (maybe accidentally) connected the minus pole of the standard charger not only to the minus terminal of the left battery, but also to the system ground?

Except for that I have no idea what your Orion DC/DC might have killed.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack chris-9 commented ·
This can cause an imbalance of the batteries.
0 Likes 0 ·
matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel Michelle Konzack commented ·

Yes and no. Yes, this can cause an imbalance between both batteries if one only charges one battery and leaves the other battery uncharged. However, if I understood the OP correctly, he removed the connecting wire between both batteries, completely charged the first battery, then completely charged the second battery and then reconnected everything to the system. This is actually one approach to _remove_ imbalance, because this way one ensures that both batteries are equally fully charged.

Moreover, while imbalanced batteries are bad for various reasons, imbalanced batteries do not break the Orion Tr.

So unless the OP did not accidentally created a short-circuit while working on the wires (i.e. detaching the bridge, re-attaching it again), I don't see a way how the Orion Tr could have been broken.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources