question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v3.20~7 available for testing

UPDATE 2023-10-17: This Q&A is closed, see the new one, v3.20~9.

UPDATE 2023-09-27: v3.20~7 is now available, details below.

UPDATE 2023-09-20: v3.20~4 is now available, details below.

Hello!

With v3.10 officially released, its time for the next version. This new beta version fixes a few bugs which I had hoped to prevent, we'll soon release them as v3.11.

And the other main feature is that the renewed MFD HTML5 App, which as already available for testing previously for a while, is back.

In case you haven't seen the v3.10 details yet, see its release blog post.

Completely renewed Marine MFD / HTML5 App

1685824333731.png

(click for large)

And here a more extended system, with more tanks, and more energy sources:

1685824162825.png

(click for large)

Note that above two screenshots are taken from the design files, it might differ a bit from actual implemenation.

These are screenshots taken from the new implementation, but there I'm not able to now have them embedded in actual look on a marine MFD like above:
1685821774230.png

And white mode:

1685821833984.png

And for comparison, here is a screenshot of the old version:

1685823688829.png

Instructions: Venus OS beta testing & how to join/install

In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program. Venus OS is the software running on all our GX devices, such as the Cerbo GX.

Instructions: How to post an issue?

By posting an answer below. Do please keep all findings organised: one answer issue per issue. So first check the existing threads if your issue has already been seen. And if it does, add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer.

Note that Answers and Comments are two different things on this portal.

Lastly, before posting issues, preferably first revert to the latest official release (v3.10), to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs.

And include information about the results/differences in behaviour in your report.

Instructions: Node-RED, Kevinā€™s GuiMods or other add-ons?

In case you are running Node-RED or SignalK, then please at least say so in your bug report.

GuiMods and other 3rd party add-ons: donā€™t report your gui issues here. Do it elsewhere instead.

Changes made by us can cause a compatibility issue with the GuiMods; and these betas report pages are for official firmware only.

Changes v3.20~5, 6 and 7

• Fix Ekrano GX remote firmware update issues with VE.Can products: the remote firmware update mechanism did not accept having two ports configured with the VE.Can profile, which the Ekrano has by default.
  • Add support for DSE gensets (this connects via ModbusTCP, just like ComAp. More details will follow later)
  • Various fixes related to Generator start/stop
  • Show a warning if the firmware for the MK3 controller built into the GX device has not been updated yet. For details, see the v3.00 blog post.
  • Dynamic ESS:
    • Fix problem with oscillation around the Dynamic ESS minsoc point. Once the system reached the minimum SOC, it would go back into normal ESS mode. This could cause the battery to start recharging, causing oscillation. Now we remain in DESS mode, but we go to idle, and set the ErrorCode accordingly (Low SOC).
  • Solar and wind priority: fix a small bug around charge battery to 100% visualisation.

RaspberryPi:

• Add files for the RaspberryPi 3a Plus model. Thank you @Head!

Changes v3.20~3 and v3.20~4

• Fix various bugs in the gui related to generator start/stop, all regressions introduced per v3.10.
    • Fix generator start stop reported run time
    • Fix an info toast message is not shown when setting service timer
    • Fix bug where FischerPanda gensets sometimes lose the engine values (Oil Pressure, RPM, etc)
  • IMT Irradiance sensors: Log the value of second temperature probe to VRM.
  • Dynamic ESS:
    • Fix bug where the maximum system feed-in setting was exceeded during automatic DynamicESS use

Venus OS Large

• Victron Palette, aka node-red-contrib-victron, v1.5.0 to v1.5.2
    • Add option to show the values in the flow. Instead of OK and Connected. A very nice improvement, see below screenshot. Activate in the configuration node.
    • Update dependencies
    • Send only changed rounded values
  • Node-RED: update from v3.0.2 to v3.1.0.

The 23.8 in below screenshot is what is new in Node-RED per Venus OS v3.20~4:

Changes v3.10 -> v3.20~2

• Re-add HTML5 app. Changes compared to the previous version:
    • Increase performance / response speed
    • Fix tank levels showing NaN sometimes
  • Remote Multi/Quattro firmware updates: fix bug where the Multis and Quattros don't show on on the VRM firmware update device list if the mk3 firmware has not been upgraded.
  • IMT Irradiance sensors:
    • add support for second temperature probe on devices with two temperature probes
    • add support for IMT sensors running firmware versions older than v1.53.
  • VE-3P75CT meter: increase ESS speed slightly
  • Update FzSonick batteries product name

Developers:

• re-enable FlashMQ
Venus OS
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi all, v3.20~7 is now available - details added above.

Have a good evening!

1 Like 1 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi all, per just now, v3.20~4 is available. details are added to the change log.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi all, heads up: tomorrow or day after weā€™ll release a v3.11 for beta testing.

It has various fixes that are now in v3.20. But not all the new features, ie no new GUI, no new Node-RED, and so forth. So to keep them, make sure to disable auto updates.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Justin Tierney avatar image Justin Tierney commented Ā·

Didnā€™t see this posted yet, sorry if I missed it. On the latest 3.20 ~7, have the wind/solar/AC set to 13.3. Twice now when plugged into AC power and using the remote console to hit my multi and tell it to ā€œcharge to 100%ā€ it failed. The latest time, my batteries were at about 50% after a camping trip. Plugged in when I got home, hit the ā€œcharge to 100%ā€ it made it to 82% before it reverted back and started maintaining 13.3v. I removed this feature altogether (unchecked the box under advanced) and uploaded VEConfigure. It started changing again.

All my devices are on the latest releases. My system is a multi 120/50 x2, cerbo, 2 150/70 mppts, 1 75/15 mppt and 3 eg4 12v/400ah batteries set to be the acting bms. Let me know if I need to provide any other information.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Justin Tierney commented Ā·
Hey Justin, I had until now not seen your report, so apologies for the late reply. We'll look into it and get back to you.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
most likely this happened because the shore power was lost (or rejected) shortly. Which is something that is being solved in Multi firmware 507, expected in a few weeks.
1 Like 1 Ā·
Justin Tierney avatar image Justin Tierney mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Appreciate the support and great work!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
16 Answers
Raoul Bocchi avatar image
Raoul Bocchi answered Ā·

We seem to have lost the load in % indication on the Fischer Panda integration. Not a huge deal but a bug nevertheless...thank you.

IMG_1300 (1).jpeg

img-1300-1.jpeg (458.2 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi, that issue is solved in recent betas, as well as in v3.11 official
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Martin (Victron Energy) avatar image Martin (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
@Raoul Bocchi Can you confirm the missing load % has been resolved in v3.11 latest v3.20 beta version? According to your attached picture the load seems to be stuck to 0% or was the item not visible at all?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

Marine app issues:

I really like where this is going.

Tanks that should warn of low levels are showing high levels in red (see your screen shot above for e.g., oil. Also tanks that should warn of low levels are not showing levels in red e.g., water in your example above.

AC input is showing as unplugged but is obviously not since there is current flowing:

screenshot-2023-09-17-at-82656-am.png

Energy Overview is mostly blank with large areas between the main number and the line below that shows other values. Seems like there is space for more info. Regardless, the summary line (e.g., voltage, current, power for AC output) should be brought closer to the top line in each section.

screenshot-2023-09-17-at-83128-am.png

And in the example above, AC input current is shown as -- when the summary page shows current.

AC Load power and current are shown as negative values. In all other places in Victron GUIs these are shown as positive. This is also inconsistent with DC Loads which is shown as a positive number.

I can't find a way to select power as apposed to current. I realize that many want to see current but power is more constant across multiple subsystems (AC in/out and battery or PV charger.

Under Devices, not sure what the line "Bulk charging" is. If this is the Multi's charger output (to battery, it should be labeled as such. But this is not consistent with what's happening in my system at the time of the screen shot as the Multi is charging the battery at about 900 watts.screenshot-2023-09-17-at-84033-am.png

The Generator detail has a single button (Auto start/stop) which leads to a button set On/Off/Auto start/stop. Can't these be moved to the devices page? It's also not clear how to manually start the generator because of the button label.

For the non-technical people, I feel gauges are much more meaningful in that they show the value relative to its maximum. Gauges could in most cases be predominant over the numeric value.

Here is the main GUI screen shot of my system at the time the others were taken. Yes, I'm running GuiMods but have tested these issues without it.

screenshot-2023-09-17-at-84725-am.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you for the extensive review Kevin!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered Ā·

Looking good, working well for me, however the generator input is signed as kw but the number is certainly Watts!

Note I am running GUI mods haven't had a chance to test without.

20230918-144631.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

Raoul Bocchi avatar image Raoul Bocchi commented Ā·
0 Likes 0 Ā·
img-1304.jpeg (8.3 MiB)
img-1305.jpeg (7.5 MiB)
img-1306.jpeg (6.9 MiB)
Noted, will be checked
-2 Likes -2 Ā·
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered Ā·

So a long time coming I have had some wema sensors for the tanks onboard, and I got around to installing them today.

Water tank went in perfectly, fluid was approx mid tank.

Black water tank no so much. Tank was empty and when I had connected everything it still said disconnected, checked my wiring which was fine then had a dive around the menu which said sensor 247.5 ohm. Ah! So I setup a custom range and away we go.

I thought though this probobly causes some confusion else where, so would a possible tweak in this scenario be rather than saying disconnected, instead out of range.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, thats a nice improvement! Weā€™ll look at it - thank you
-1 Like -1 Ā·
luphi avatar image
luphi answered Ā·

I really like the new GUI !

• The control page shows ESS control tile, even there is no ESS installed
  • The control page does not show water pump control tile even a pump is configured.

Is there already or will there be a way to get the new GUI displayed on a touch 70?

2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered Ā·

Hi,

On updating to ~4 I had a lost BMS issue (lynx smart BMS) restarting didn't cure it.

Reverted to ~2 and that cured it.

2 |3000

mpuff avatar image
mpuff answered Ā·

Is there a possibility or can it be implemented in the software that the gui is cleaned up a bit, e.g. hide menu items that have no values in the bms view?

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes
1 Like 1 Ā·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered Ā·

Not sure if this is the right spot to report this, vrm.victronenergy.com portal updated this morning, as was the Cerbo. Did that to check.

But I still cannot see the Serial Number of my replaced inverter on the portal under Firmware updates.

1695886826984.png

Just mentioning, in case that is an issue.

1695886826984.png (5.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Jaco, Iā€™ve listed it to get it looked into.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
John Leslie avatar image
John Leslie answered Ā·

One issue I just noticed in the MFD app in both 3.2-7 and 3.1 (normal). My system as three Quattros plus lithium BMS. The battery BMS is configured to have battery status visible. Battery status for the three Quattros is hidden. In 3.2-7, none of the Quattros show up under Devices. I would like to see all three Quattros in Devices so I could turn them on and off. Thre is however a blank entry under Devices.

1696174308959.png

1696174390376.png

In 3.1, only one of the three Quattros shows up in the Inverter/Charger section

1696174570623.png

1696174308959.png (40.2 KiB)
1696174390376.png (72.0 KiB)
1696174570623.png (59.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Leslie, yes this (multiple inverter/chargers) doesnā€™t work at the moment; its on the list to fix
1 Like 1 Ā·
Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image
Vangelis Beligiannis answered Ā·

Hello! Please have in mind that all FRONIUS SYMO ADVANCED models are recognized by the GX devices as single phase pv inverters instead of multiphase. This makes all the readings to appear wrong. Fronius is already informed, but probably this is a Victron issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, see fronius/victron manual: the solution is to enable modbus tcp on the Fronius.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
quigibo avatar image
quigibo answered Ā·

UPDATE:
I'm going to have to admit that I think this was my fault somehow.
After downgrading to 3.20~4 and step by step upgrading back to 3.20~7 so far I can NOT reproduce the problem.

ORIGINAL

I think there is an issue with graphed consumption on the "System Overview" graph on VRM with 3.20~7 that aren't in 3.20~4. I'm not 100% sure what it is but my graphs were way off.. reverted to 3.20~4 and it's normal.

I have ESS, with grid-tied solar on the input side.. Multiplus-II 3000/48 with PV via MPPT on the inside. At night we charge vehicles at 1am (about 20Kw)... and on average have 1KW on the inside of the Multiplus-ii as critical loads.

The graph before ~7 is correct... consumption at night, generation during the day while at work.
After ~7, the consumption at night is flat.. basically our constant 1KW of critical loads. And the consumption during the day is roughly the exact same as grid-tied solar generation minus critical loads (haven't done the math).... I have a Smappee monitor as well and it's accurate.

After downgrading to 3.20~4 VRM matches the Smappee output.

I think the grid meter output is being reversed with 3.20~7 such that consumption at night is treated as a negative number and during the day, production (negative) is treated as a positive number.

UPDATE:
Alright... I came back and looked at pictures and something is for sure up. I think it's with the VRM graph though. I exported the values from the "Advanced" view to excel and the output values for the cars charging at night show up, but not on the VRM graph.

I also went back to 9/27 (day ~7 came out)... Now I can't remember when I or it upgraded but 10/1 is when things started going sideways, middle of the day. Same with 10/2 middle of the day generation.

Here is today, solar graph.. everything from AC solar being consumed (we're not home...)... I remotely downgrade to ~4 around 11:30'ish..... and things change.
1696385029428.png

Here is Smappee output vs VRM today.. they start to align around noon.
1696385224326.png
Again.. the exported data from VRM advanced is correct but the graph is wrong (I think)

1696385224326.png (273.3 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Quigibo you can reproduce it? Or cannot?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
quigibo avatar image quigibo mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Sorry. I just fixed my post. I can NOT reproduce the problem.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ quigibo commented Ā·
Hi @Quigibo , ok thanks!
1 Like 1 Ā·
ulfilas avatar image
ulfilas answered Ā·

Hey,

i was updating from 3.11 to 3.20~9 and the presets of my Carlo Gavazzi counters were alll set to default "gridmeter".

and now i have the issue that i have a new device ID for my PV-meter
1697461283222.png

1697461283222.png (10.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

matthias-roetzer avatar image matthias-roetzer commented Ā·

Hi,

the same happened to me when updating from 3.20~4 to 3.20~9

BR, Matthias

0 Likes 0 Ā·
matthias-roetzer avatar image matthias-roetzer matthias-roetzer commented Ā·
this is happening again without any user-action suddenly at night.

BR, Matthias

0 Likes 0 Ā·
towatai avatar image
towatai answered Ā·

And as so often, once again the changelog before or shortly after the release (this time from 3.20~4 to 3.20~9) would be forgotten. Guys, this has to be better. It's not soooo hard, is it?

2 |3000

lala avatar image
lala answered Ā·

After updating to the 3.20~ 9 version, my ess system starts charging from the network even though the battery is sufficiently full.

1 comment
2 |3000

lala avatar image lala commented Ā·

After re-setting the electricity meter functions and roles. It goes again also with the new version

0 Likes 0 Ā·
beat avatar image
beat answered Ā·

Regarding this change: "Changes v3.20~5, 6 and 7"

• Dynamic ESS:
    • Fix problem with oscillation around the Dynamic ESS minsoc point. Once the system reached the minimum SOC, it would go back into normal ESS mode. This could cause the battery to start recharging, causing oscillation. Now we remain in DESS mode, but we go to idle, and set the ErrorCode accordingly (Low SOC).

Isn't this a bit simplistic workaround to the ESS bug described here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/236751/ess-cycling-the-battery-10-of-minimum-soc-above-th.html?childToView=237032

that seems to originate from ... these lines at BatteryLife.py (also in "Optimized (without Battery Life)" ESS mode ?

It looks like oscillating between State SocGuardDefault and State SocGuardDischarged, with the small hysteresis from constant SocSwitchOffset.

A better fix to the Dynamic ESS oscillation around the dynamic MinimumSocLimit could possibly be to fix the non-dynamic ESS code when it cycles too around MinimumSocLimit , e.g. by adding one, possibly two States when self.soc is between MinimumSocLimit and MinimumSocLimit+SocSwitchOffset that is basically first stopping discharging the battery, then second state keeping the battery at least at that voltage/charge, and charging it with any solar in excess of loads?

2 |3000

bublabass avatar image
bublabass answered Ā·

I have a Cerbo GX with a GX touch 50 screen.

On updating to Venus OS V3.2 the screen stays on permanently, altering the time delay to shut off does not change anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 |3000

Related Resources