question

Stephen Otto avatar image
Stephen Otto asked

Where can I find instructions for connecting the BatteryProtect relay to a Venus GX and for controlling the BP via the Venus?

Interesting in using my new VenusGX to control the BP’s behavior. How do I accomplish this?

Venus GX - VGXBattery Protect
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stephen Otto avatar image Stephen Otto commented ·

I should add that I am also attempting to integrate a BMV 702. I need some instruction regarding how to integrate the BMV with the BP and the Venus.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Stephen Otto commented ·

Hi Stephen.

Please could you elaborate a bit more on exactly what you are aiming to achieve?
What sort of control are you expecting to be able to perform on the BP from the Venus?

The thing is, the Venus is more of a monitoring device and less of a control device. It can control things via it's relay output. This relay output could be connected directly to the BP and allow you to turn it on and off.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Otto avatar image Stephen Otto wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Well, I’d like the Venus to enable the sharing of the data from the BMV to the BP to control when the BP shuts things down to prevent over discharge. I’m guessing the BMV’s data is more accurate than the BP’s data. I’m pretty sure this is how Venus OS is supposed to operate — just having trouble finding clear instructions.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Stephen Otto,

The Battery protect is a device without communication apart from the alarm output.
There is also the Smart Battery protect that has bluetooth communication but this only 'talks' to the Victron connect app

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery_protect/smart-battery-protect

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start?s[]=victron&s[]=connect

So what you are asking to connect the BP to a Venus device is not possible

best regards
Martijn Coster - Victron Energy

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stephen Otto avatar image Stephen Otto commented ·

But it does have a relay that I can control using my BMS, correct? My BMS is not yet installed, so I guess what I was looking for was relay control from the Venus in lieu of my BMS. I realize the Venus GX is not a BMS, but just wondering if I can use it to send out a relay signal based on information it gleans from the BMV. (If it can’t do this, it would be so easy to for Victron to add!)

0 Likes 0 ·