question

jimbo avatar image
jimbo asked

Odd Freqency shifting behavior

Hi all I have a system running Primo 5 and MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48 for some reason when the panels get a good bright burst of sun, say 4.5KW, it triggers an error 105 on the Primo - (frequency shifting) and the Primo 5 reboots. Is this expected behavior or is it an issue? Everything runs fine when the Primo is running at < 4KW

AC PV CouplingFroniusfrequency
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

You will need to share the ESS settings maybe?

And explain in more detail what solar you have installed compared to programmed.

Are you off or on grid?

0 Likes 0 ·
jimbo avatar image jimbo Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Further to the above info I have a screen grab of the CCGX

It appears that when the power hits a certain level the inverter pushes all the power to the ac loads and then the Primo gets rebooted with an error105.

any ideas whats going on?

0 Likes 0 ·

0 Likes 0 ·
ccgx.mp4 (186.1 KiB)

Hey @Alexis Kalogerakis yes we are off-grid running a MG50 setup. No ESS assistant just using the PV Inverter assistant set up for 5000W PV power 5000W Inverter. I wasn't sure if the total inverter power should be 10000 in the assistant as we have a 5KW primo and a 5VA Multi but I left it as above when updating the firmware today.

We have Pylontech batteries and a Victron MPPT but these should not affect the multi's frequency shift?? as the Pylontech BMS manages both of these, in fact, I'm pretty sure the BMS also manages the Multi plus.?

The Pylontech batteries are configured as per Victron specs from the website via THE CCGX

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ jimbo commented ·
@jimbo

What is the Pylontec telling the system to do at this point?

And in the assistant put the installed PV power.

What is the grid charge amps set to on the inverter? And then is it getting hot? It is likely some derating issues you have there.

Charging from AC PV is hard in the system. Restrict the charge amps down a quite a bit. See if that helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
8 Answers
jimbo avatar image
jimbo answered ·

OK I got to the bottom of the issue. it seems that the Primo must have changed the country code at some point, perhaps during a firmware update. Either way, the solution was to set the primo back to MG50 and now it's working as expected.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I have found this in the internet:

error code - 105 ac frequency too high

Unfortunately, the AC or Grid voltage has been causing many solar home owners systems to be turned off! Which ultimately means you’re not able to produce solar energy

2 |3000

It seems, your Primo produce more energy as the MultiPlus-2 can take and you have not respected the 1:1 rule.

The MultiPlus-2 try to increase the frequency to a maximum to protect itself of being overloaded

1 comment
2 |3000

jimbo avatar image jimbo commented ·

I have set the PV assistant in the multiplus set to PV 5000 / Inverter 5000 so I have respected the 1:1 rule as far as I can tell. With the assistant set to 5KW ... and assuming the Multplus needs 5KW before frequency shifting is activated. this is not happening as the primo only produces 4KW then the miltiplus forces it to reboot with frequency shifting.

perhaps I misunderstood the 1:1 ratio I was under the impression that it was the VA of the inverter and an = amount of PV regardless if you have more panels as I do plugged into the primo 5.5Kw (ish)

0 Likes 0 ·
jimbo avatar image
jimbo answered ·

I just checked the Primo 5 and it was set to 5750W... I have since changed this to 5KW to be in line with the Multplus 5VA would this have caused the premature frequency shifting? Or do I need to further setup the PRIMO 5 via the PROFI menu?

the Primo actually does have 5750W PV attached. but to be in line with the 1:0 rule it should be set to 5KW???

thanks.

screen-shot-2023-09-10-at-115401-am.png

2 |3000

The MultiPlus-2 with 5kVA has only 4kW and I have tried it too.

It seens, the 1:1 rule does not apply to the VA, but Watt, henc my 24/5000 can not take more then 3,8kW if I loss my AC input (Grid)

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

what is the max freq that its being changed to. maybe a vrm graph showing the issue. also what are the freq setting in the multiplus assistant. and what size is the battery bank. my system is set to star derating at 50.2 hz and then max frequ when the solar inverter shuts down is set at 53hz, this is working really well

1694333114025.png

1694333013447.png

1694333013447.png (37.9 KiB)
1694333114025.png (102.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

jimbo avatar image jimbo commented ·

Hi Paul.

Thanks for that.

The VRM widget shows a maximum of 52.7Hz today

screen-shot-2023-09-11-at-73849-pm.png

I'm using the PV inverter support assistant, not the ESS as we're off-grid. It's set up with the default settings.

Will the system use as VE.Bus BMS is set to "NO"

I assumed the Pylontech BMS is not a "VE.Bus BMS" (this is a Victorn product no?)

screen-shot-2023-09-11-at-74826-pm.png

I have 7 X Pylontech US3000 74Ah modules (3.5Kwh each)

My system was working well for ages (as far as i can tell) until I split my panels over the two MPPTS's in the primo, That's when things seemed to have gone to pot.

Perhaps because I have two strings now their produce more power

I also had a stab at using the DVCC on the CCGX to limit the charge rate but it seemed to have no effect at all as it didn't stop the problem.

screen-shot-2023-09-11-at-75619-pm.png

screen-shot-2023-09-11-at-81445-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·
jimbo avatar image
jimbo answered ·

Can someone confirm that I need to have the PV inverter support assistant installed under my situation?

After re-reading the Poylontech setup https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

It does not mention the PV inverter support assistant anywhere for off-gird but it does mention the ESS assistant for grid backup systems.

Perhaps I do not need the PV inverter support assistant to be installed in my situation? This could be the issue?

thanks

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You do need the pv support assistant , as this controls the multiplus output frequancy

you need to now check that the PV inverter is reducing output WHEN the frequency is increasing as it may NOT be reducing its output gradually,

if its not then there maybe a better ountry code that needs to be selected in the pimo thats works better with frequency shift.

the polytech batterys have nothing to do with controlling the PV out put

basically if the PV output is greater than the loads and the battery is full then the PV MUST BE DERATED or the systems voltage will increase or the charge voltage will increase,

as the extra PV power has to go somewhere and the victron cant control that,

so the frequency is increased to tell the PV inverter to derate.

if it does NOT derate and things get really out of hand then the inverter will reboot itself and thus you have a power outage,

how ever battery voltage will go high and you can damage the batteries, or the ac voltage will go high and ac items will be damaged or even both .

so its very important that the frequency shift is working correctly in the PV inverter

2 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
NOTE if the battery ois full and pv is outputting more than the ac loads then the dvcc cant limit the amps, the extra power from the PV has to go somewhere. so its the battery voltage or the ac loads voltage or both.
0 Likes 0 ·
jimbo avatar image jimbo Paul B commented ·

Hi Paul perhaps you can assist with a question relating to the pv support assistant setup.

1: Will the system use as VE.Bus BMS?

>> I have this set to NO as I assume this is only relevant if I am using a "Victron manufactured BMS" and not my pylontech BMS

2: I have a 5KW Primo and and 5KW MultiPlus

>> Do I enter 5KW or 10KW into the "Total installed PV inverter power is"

3: Let's say I have 6KW of panels connected to the Primo 5

>> Do I enter 6000w in the "Total installed PV Pannel power is" or 5000 to honor the AC-coupling and the Factor 1.0 rule.

Lastly, and you may not be able to advise on this as it is a Fronius related one but in the primo do I enter 5000w into the total installed panel power, or again do I enter the real-world value of 6KW to honor the AC-coupling and the Factor 1.0 rule.

Thanks in advance.

J

0 Likes 0 ·