question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Smart Shunt Displays

screenhunter-211.pngCould someone please explain in simple terms the difference between setting the Smart Shunts to Battery Monitor and DC monitor and if possible show a screenshot of the displays on VRM so i can recognise them as i cant understand what the difference between the two options is , as i understand it both monitor the incoming and outgoing current from the battery they are connected to .

This is a simplified pic of what im considering doing as an independent backup system ( lower circuit ) the battery will be charged from a completely different source when required as it will be rarely needed . The primary circuit is simple and has been in service for a couple of years without any issues . I have not shown the other connections to the positive side or the Busbar , MPPT etc to keep things simple . Any assistance and advice will be as always gratefully received .

SmartShunt
screenhunter-211.png (153.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

You set it as a Battery Monitor when it is connected to the battery and it is used to monitor the battery SOC.

When you want to monitor some DC load for instance, you connect only that load through the shunt and set the shunt as a DC Energy Meter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thanks Seb , would i be correct in thinking the way i have it wired in the drawing would remain the same for either option , as the Inverter is the only piece of equipment on the Backup circuit . It seems to be the same as the other Shunt except that the current in and out of the battery is limited to the Inverters performance rather than the existing shunt which includes information from the Inverter and the MPPT , Turbines as well as anything else either drawing or supplying current to the Busbar . As the second Shunt is only connected to the Inverter wouldn't the information the Shunt displayed be the same whichever Mode it was uses in .

3 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

I don't understand what you are trying to do and what you wrote above.

0 Likes 0 ·
ako avatar image ako seb71 commented ·

What i would like to do is have a simple switch over to transfer the current draw by the Inverter from the Main battery bank to a Backup battery and have a means of monitoring the state of the battery remotly .

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 ako commented ·
And how is the "backup" battery charged?
0 Likes 0 ·