question

flyitall avatar image
flyitall asked

TR Smart 12/12 30 with Battery Charger on Starter Battery

Using the Dc/Dc converter to charge Lithium house batteries on my motorhome when the engine is running. Since motorhome is often sitting for long periods without the engine running and plugged into power, I also keep a 4.5A battery tender on the starter battery all the time. My problem is that the battery charger will eventually push the lead acid starter battery up to 14+volts. When this happens the Dc/Dc thinks the engine is running and it turns on and pulls current out of the starter battery until voltage drops below the cutout and the cycle repeats. Is there some way to use the ignition switch on the L H pins to prevent this?

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Yes. Find a spare switched feed in your fuse box, or tap into the switched feed for your radio. Connect this to the H pin. Disable engine detection.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bob K avatar image Bob K commented ·

No need to disable Engine Shutdown Detection. That function may still be necessary for the DC charger to function properly with the motorhome's alternator when the DC charger is turned on by the signal to the H-pin.

Also...need to remove the black jumper wire that's in the jumper (between L and H pins) so that the only wire in the jumper is on the H-pin.

1693629363054.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1693629363054.png (522.6 KiB)
flyitall avatar image flyitall Bob K commented ·
Thanks for the input guys. I will work with the H pin….probably will use a wire off the ignition, so apply +12v when engine starts to turn on charger. Will post my results.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources