question

Paul Carmichael avatar image
Paul Carmichael asked

Why did VictronConnect make my system shut down

Hello all.

This post is a reaction to what just happened. That's why I haven't listed firmware versions etc.

I have Pylontech batteries and a Quattro inverter.

I just loaded up Victronconnect with the laptop connected to the Quattro. My plan was to set the SOC threshold for connecting to the mains.

Did that, but then all of a sudden, the system reports low battery and shuts down completely! It didn't even connect to the mains. The batteries were at 77% according to the CCGX and that would seem about right.

If necessary I'll go off and write down all the FW versions etc.

But has anyone else seen this? It's got me worried.

BTW, the system restarted after a few minutes.

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
Normal behaviour when you connect to the ve bus.

It interrupts comms with the GX which means the battery through DVCC is no longer controling the system, hence the low battery shut down. I think there is a window where you van get in on and done before it does that, like under two minutes or the same interval as a GX reboot.

Any system changes / maintenance on a system should be done with no load ideally or with the expectation of a system restart. The same as if you were uodating firmware etc.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael commented ·
OK, thanks. I understand. What about if I enable battery monitor in the inverter? I'm thinking that, at least during configuration, the inverter will see that the battery is OK. Then, I presume that afterwards, the battery monitor setting will be ignored and control will go back to the BMS. Am I right?
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael Paul Carmichael commented ·
BTW, why didn't it connect to the mains?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Paul Carmichael commented ·

There will be no signal from the bms. It is a basic safety thing.

You will see a few posts here on it the shutdown.

And the internal monitor wont help, since soc or voltage would not have been the issue, the bms signal is gone system shuts down thinking there is a problem and your batteries need to be protected.

I have seen different battery types have slightly different behaviour. Pylontec is a bit fussier than others.

And as mentioned the GX should have been unplugged anyway. I guess you got away with it alot then. ;).

Best procedure is to have an unloaded system when doing changes.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Did you disconnect the GX? You can't connect that and a mk3 together else you can have issues.

The BMS will only timeout (and shutdown) if you have left the GX disconnected for an extended period. For typical maintenance the timeout is long enough to not be a problem.

7 comments
2 |3000

Oops. I must have connected the laptop a hundred times and never disconnected the GX.

Next time...

0 Likes 0 ·
Incidentally, is there a way to deactivate the CCGX without having to take stuff apart to get at RJ45s? I doubt it, but thought it worth asking.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Paul Carmichael commented ·
Unfortunately not without pulling power or removing an RJ45.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I just unplug on the inverter side. Usually you are opening there anyway to plug in the mk3 with its rj45.
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Heh. I was connecting to it so often because of the FLAs, I have an ethernet cable plugged in permanently for the mk3.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Paul Carmichael commented ·
I have done the same before, but that required the other end at the GX to be removed.
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Not a massive deal. Just means opening the box that I have the CCGX in. Would prolly take 30 seconds. I just don't like messing with it as it all seems a tad fragile. Not so bad now I've removed the USB connection for the old battery monitor.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources