question

addvanced avatar image
addvanced asked

Phoenix 1200 inverter keeps giving me low voltage alarms

I have a Cerbo GX and Phoenix 1200 inverter. My system is off grid, I monitor remotely with VRM.

Thing is, I get random (no pattern) low voltage alarms from the Phoenix 1200 every 2-10 days, sometimes none for 2-3 weeks, but then it'll happen again. It will be a low voltage alarm, showing 11.5V or something.

I go into the history of voltage and SOC using Cerbo GX paired with smart shunt, and I see nothing below 13.5V. Maybe 13.4 if there is a day of no sun. Anybody have any ideas?

Phoenix Inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

My system is off grid, I monitor remotely with VRM."

The system is being used during this time by someone there? Are there any loads?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Sup stranger?

What is actually reporting the alarm? The Phoenix itself? Is DVCC enabled with the smartshunt identified as the SCS, SVS and STS (if you have temp sensor)? If yes, then the shunt is feeding the Phoenix that voltage.

Cerbo/VRM will only catch readings based on its update frequency, which is no more often than 1 minute. Next time you're onsite, use bluetooth to connect to smartshunt with Victronconnect (not through VRM). Go to trends and select SoC and Voltage. Once you've done that, it will log data for 45 days at a much higher rate (every 1-2 seconds or so?).

Connecting to the shunt via VC and VRM will not enable or view any logged data except for the active session. If you connected to it through VC on a PC via VRM and kept the trends tab open, it should "log" for as long as the VC session is active. This might give you a clue before your next visit.

While you can only access that logged trend data through bluetooth, you will at least get a very accurate log of what's going on once you're back onsite.

I'm pretty confident you'll trace it to your BMS(es) - they are going dormant or doing something weird. Low drain situations can see BMSes go into low power mode where they report a notably lower voltage.

Lastly, if you have the stupid LiTime self-heating batteries that cut discharge briefly when charging is terminated, that's likely your issue. Stupidest batteries on the planet.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

addvanced avatar image addvanced commented ·
Whatup waffles! I appreciates your help so far!

The phoenix is reporting the low voltage alarm.

I do not have DVCC enabled as my 'stupid self heating litime batteries' are not listed in the approved list of compatible batteries.

I logged into VRM, hit advanced, and opened up the System Battery Voltage & Current (I believe that's what you meant by VC) but the frequency, even if I pare it down to the last hour, is still about 5 minutes apart on the graph.

I wonder if I can pop these batteries open and run a different BMS. So frustrated with these.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas addvanced commented ·
You can use DVCC with those batteries since you have a smart shunt. The approved list of batteries is for comm connected batteries, which yours is not. DVCC is suggested for all battery types per the manual.
1 Like 1 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler addvanced commented ·

VC=VictronConnect

DVCC can be used with lead acid. DVCC is required for BMS communications, but it has other non-BMS functions as well. Sharing voltage, temperature and current data from your shunt to all connected devices is one of them.

I used it with lead acid to limit my charge current to something safe for my batteries. This limited charging, but it still allowed the MPPT to output more than that current for loads if needed.

Recommend you enable DVCC and enable SCS, SVS and STS (if you have a temp sensor on your shunt). The benefit of this is to propagate the same data to all connected devices. The MPPT will charge based on the shunt voltage and charge current rather than it's own less accurate measurements.

In the GX console, you need to go into Settings > VRM and set logging frequency to 1 minute.

The logging I referenced in my initial response was for local bluetooth connection directly to the smart shunt ONLY. The goal is to setup your shunt to log data for 45 days so that when you're on-site, you get a very detailed record of what's happening in the VictronConnect Trends tab for the shunt.

Unfortunately, for remote options, VRM at 1m intervals is all you get.

0 Likes 0 ·
addvanced avatar image addvanced snoobler commented ·
Thanks! I enabled DVCC and SCS and SVS, but I currently do not have a temp sensor (I have one on hand, will be installing when I go out in a few weeks, going to put it inside the battery box). I also changed the logging freq to 1 minute.

I will also add, the Phoenix itself is flaky in terms of connection. Right now it shows as unknown, last seen 4 hours ago. I did some googling and I did find people with Phoenix units they had to return, newer units did not have the low voltage alarms. I'm wondering if this inverter is just bunk.

Plan this winter is to put external battery warming mats in the box, hooked up to the inverter. Should be able to turn the inverter on/off manually, or possibly put it on eco mode and use a programmable timer to turn the heaters on and off. This should preheat the batteries so I don't have any weird ass charging situations with these 'self heating' batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler addvanced commented ·
1m might catch something. I regularly catch MPPT sweeps and occasionally catch fridge compressor current surges.

If the Phoenix is measuring a weird voltage, DVCC with the shunt as SVS may fix it since the Phoenix will ignore its own voltage reading.

Hmmm... can't imagine why it would go offline for 4 hours. Is that VE.Direct connected or VE.Bus? I can't keep it straight. That sounds very odd.
0 Likes 0 ·
addvanced avatar image addvanced snoobler commented ·
It's direct connected with VE cables from inverter to Cerbo GX
1 Like 1 ·
buddhafragt avatar image
buddhafragt answered ·

You have Dynamic Cut-off switched on? Its not workíng and produce errors.

2 |3000