question

giampaolo avatar image
giampaolo asked

System upgrade.

I would like to upgrade my system that now consist in a Multiplus 2 /5000 KVA . Only in short periods during the day we ned more than the 4000 watts provided by the multi. So I woul prefer to add a machine that is ON only when more power is needed , maybe a second Multiplus 2 or a Phoenix Inverter. I found on the net that someone added a second inverter in series using it as generator and set with the function "generator start and stop".

However this system seems not beeings supported by Victron Is there someone maybe from Victron that can give me some more explanation .

Multiplus-IIPhoenix Inverterpowerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Officially not supported, but it works if you configure the current ACin as Generator, put a SmartShunt in the DC line of the "Generator Inverter"( which can be also a cheaper Phoenix), configure it as DC load (I assume, you have a GX device in yozr system) and limit the ACin to 2/3 from the existing MultiPlus to the output of the "Generator Inverter".

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

giampaolo avatar image
giampaolo answered ·

Thanks Michelle Konzack for your answer but it confuses me a little since I had in mind to use a different way to set the system . I do have a GX device and also a shunt on the system as soon as Iget the new inverter I will put also a lynxs system to handle the DC side. Will you be so kind to provide me more details about the configuration you suggested?

2 comments
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
Nothing special to do.

Since you can not control 2 seperated Invetrter with one GX device, simply use the inverter suitable but your GX should be aware of a device which suck energy out of the battery. Hence use a Smartshunt to messure the power consumption of the new inverter.

The GX will see it as ordinary DC load which will be switched on from time to time.

Your existig MultiPlus must be configured asvyou would have a GenSet installed. Hence you must limit the input Amperes not to cook the new "Generator" Inverter.

I have never tried it because i have only one inverter, but in theorie you should be able to start the new "Generator" Inverter from the MultiPlus relais like you start a GenSet, hence if a certain load is on the MultiPlus, it would start the second inverter like a GenSet.

But this is the theorie.

Maybe you will need the VenusOS Large with NodeRed for it. (i have currently only a ColorControl GX and can not experiment. It serms, my Banana PI M1 is a little bit overloaded with the VenusOS. :<(

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Michelle Konzack commented ·
A second shunt is not necessary. As long as all loads go thru the existing shunt the gx device will be able to see all energy removed from the batteries no matter which inverter is drawing it.
0 Likes 0 ·
giampaolo avatar image
giampaolo answered ·

Thanks for your answers. Yes I belive too that one shunt can handle the data from the battery benches that will be connected to the lynx power in. I will keep you informed on the result.

2 |3000