question

Petr Kouba avatar image
Petr Kouba asked

[Multiplus-II] Can you use powerassist with inverter as primary source in overload condition?

Hello, I would like to ask if you can use powerassist with inverter as primary source in overload condition. I am asking this to determine if 1x inverter will be sufficient or whether it would have to paralled 2x to accomodate rare cases or overload (electric cookers 4kW + random loads under 3kW). Let me explain:

Inverter: Multiplus-II 5000VA
Grid: Available and connected, limitless
Battery: Ideal and limitless

Normal conditions: Loads under 5000VA operate on invertor without issues (>95% time)
Question condition: Loads exceed 5000VA - Invertor overload (not counting on 130% overload possibility @ 5minutes)

When loads exceeds rating of invertor I would like it to feed in the rest from the grid (if available) resulting in 5000VA from invertor and rest taken from grid - stable over 5000VA system for limited time period. Meaning the priority should be always on batteries and invertor power and grid only used if required. I understand that if grid fails at that moment, the system would shutdown due to overload.

It this possible?
What are the limits? (Total combined power, Switching times, Minimum difference in power consumed vs power assisted, etc.)

I couldnt find answers anywhere in data sheets and powerassist manuals.
Thanks

Multiplus-IIPhoenix Inverterpowerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Petr Kouba

What you describe is standard functionality of ESS systems:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

holgernestmann avatar image
holgernestmann answered ·

Hi @

I am also looking into setting up a battery first solar system. I wanted to limit the battery draw to 35Amps on a 48v battery and thought the multiplus 48/1600 would be a great fit.

Can the 48/1600 be setup to draw power from the grid if the appliance exceeds 1300W? Or would I require a multiplus 2 which starts at 3000VA.

If I require a multiplus 2 - can the battery draw be limited to 35amps or would I need to upgrade the battery?

Thanks

Holger

2 |3000