question

mp3 avatar image
mp3 asked

What happens when you surpass the maximum cable cross section for a orion?

I had a diy system done for me and am now on my own with it, I'm wanting to extend the cables running from my car battery so I checked the manual for my orions and noticed the specs say the maximum cable cross section is 6awg, but I currently have 4awg coming off the negarive of the starting battery. Off the positive I have 6awg.

Can surpassing the maximum able cross section cause issues?

I have 2 non isolated 30 amp options. 2013 Chev traverse, upgraded alternator (330amp I believe)

orion dc-dc
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·

Always a good reference...

Wiring Unlimited (victronenergy.com)

from page 23 of the above.

page-23.jpg

1 Like 1 ·
page-23.jpg (196.7 KiB)
2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The wires won't fit in the terminals.

Otherwise greater cross section is better.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bob K avatar image
Bob K answered ·

You can run whatever AWG you want from the starter battery back to the location where the DC charger is so long as it's sufficient for the load. In fact, if you have a long total circuit length (total positive conductor length plus total negative conductor length), the larger AWG off the starter battery will help reduce voltage drop. Even though the Orion has a large input voltage range, reducing voltage drop will help with maximizing charger efficiency, especially on particularly temperamental "smart" alternators.

The Orion terminals will only accept 6 AWG wire (16mm2), so you'll just have to use single stud busbars to convert from the larger AWG down to 6 AWG.

dc-wire-selection-chartlg.jpg

20230516-150743-1.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources