question

serpentmage avatar image
serpentmage asked

No ESS Assistant found (Easy Solar II GX)

I have googled and looked around. The title says it all. How do I install an ESS Assistant? From what I have read you use VE Configure program and some kind of dongle device? I have connected the device to the VRM Portal and it is visible. It also has the latest firmware, it was downloaded once the device was connected to the Internet.

Truthfully, if it requires a dongle and a Windows machine (only have Mac OS and Linux) I am totally shocked from a device that costs over 2000 Euros. This is 2023, not 1990.

ESSfirmware updateVEConfigure 3vrm firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@SerpentMage

That is because it is more than just an inverter, it opens up more powerful options like into home automation. So still more 2023...

You can update firmware over the VRM and program it over the internet as well.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

serpentmage avatar image serpentmage commented ·

Thank-you and I understand that. I used to be a software consultant and bought it for the programming ability. The problem I have is that I can't even get past the ESS installation phase. The firmware is updated but there is no ESS.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ serpentmage commented ·

ESS is an assistant that needs to be programmed.

To get the assistant tab active you have to disable virtual switch if you are using VE config.

It is literally a wizard that you run through. There are some manuals linked on this page built from the tags you gave the post.

0 Likes 0 ·
serpentmage avatar image serpentmage Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Can you please help me? I am sitting here pulling my hairs out trying to figure out how to get this... In the video it is saying that I can do this in the ESS but my system says no ESS configured. How on earth do I get this in the video?

https://youtu.be/zIfRHrxtxKo?t=815

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ serpentmage commented ·
Sorry for not replying, had this nasty thing called work to attend to...

@Matthias Lange - DE

Has it covered. You might be able to get the dealer or sales you purchased from to program if you ask nicely.

0 Likes 0 ·
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

For a start do you have ve configure 3 on your laptop if so use ve bus to usb Mk3 dongle to connected between Easy Solar II GX and ve configure 3 in your laptop next grid tab and selection your country / grid code next virtual switch tab selection do not use VS next assisted tab add assisted look down list you will find Ess assisted beater still look Victron website for ESS - Start page and down load https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start#:~:text=ESS%20Design%20and%20installation%20manual

you find hold section on ESS install or link may work for you

back digging trench for cables for my own set up

2 comments
2 |3000

serpentmage avatar image serpentmage commented ·
I only have Mac OS and Linux. I do not have Windows, nor access to a Windows station. This is a large part of my problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ serpentmage commented ·

Victron is working in VictronConnect to replace VE.config someday but currently you need Windows to run VE.config to add the ESS assistant.

You can also run Windows as VM ("Parallels" on Mac).

You don't know anyone that have a Windows PC/Laptop?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Leo avatar image
Alex Leo answered ·

I also have Easysolar II GX and after I configure ESS,save the file and upload it trough VRM...my device restarts to the same state it was before.I tried it many times,it just doesnt want to load it....

8 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Alex Leo

Odd. But the best way is with an MK3. Then you have a direct connection

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Leo avatar image Alex Leo Alexandra ♦ commented ·
It does load the rvsc file with other settings,like Virtual switch and anything else.But not when I setup ESS....
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Alex Leo commented ·
@Alex Leo

Using Assistants concurrently with Virtual Switch isn't possible. I think VS takes priority. You'll need to convert any VS functions to Assistants, so that all can work together

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Leo avatar image Alex Leo JohnC ♦ commented ·
Of course it is not possible.Ve Configure disables VS when you setup ESS.What i wanted to say is that after I upload the file with ESS setings,the inverter restarts with my previous settings and virtual switch,like the upload never happened.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Alex Leo commented ·
@Alex Leo

Do you get the "Success" notification and a reboot of the Multi when you upload it? Maybe you're sending the wrong file, a pc will keep lots of generations if you don't delete the oldies. (No reboot - no Assistants)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Leo avatar image Alex Leo JohnC ♦ commented ·
I am sure i am sending the good file.The inverter reboots,but with old settings and file.I deleted all the files i had,i downloaded the new one from VRM,modified that one and upload it.Same thing.I ordered an MK3 and I will try that way.
0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image gazza Alex Leo commented ·

Hi not sure what ESS system hardware you have.. but... If you do a remote upload of an rvsc file it must match the version of the firmware that the original file was saved as. When there is a mismatch then the system defaults to the "working" file, ie the one that was in operation before you loaded the new rvsc. The VE configure tools package includes a conversion app. When you just do a firmware update with VRM that conversion process is scheduled automatically as part of the overall process, the final stage being the upload of the converted rvsc file. Is this mismatch possible in your situation? The other thing that I always do when making any upload via VRM is to unplug any BMS Can connection (which is recommended for firmware updates), however, this may result in a communication error warning that you don't appear to have had?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Leo avatar image Alex Leo gazza commented ·
You might be right about the BMS can connection.My battery is connected to the VEcan bus.I didnt know you have to unplug it.
0 Likes 0 ·